Power steering problem

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 F250, HD, 7.3. The power steering doesn't seem to work well at low idle. Only to the right. I can turn left no problem. If I am sitting still, I can turn to the left with ease, to the right, no power. If I am moving faster than about 20 mph, it works both ways fine, usually. Never hard to turn left, only right.....
Any suggestions?

Thanks!
KC

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could change the fluid & clean system, Other than that I'm not sure if it the pump or the box. Is the res full of air, & does it growl when turning? Also do you have any leaks? Rick

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So that shouldn't be too bad, right? It's easier than the box, right?
Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I don't remember where I got this from. -popcorn

7.3L Diesel C-II Power Steering Pump

Removal

1.Remove power steering return hoses at the pump, and drain fluid.

2.On F-Super Duty only, also remove power steering return line hose at the pump, and drain fluid.

3.Remove the power steering pressure hose by unscrewing the connector from the pump.

4.Remove drive belt.

5.Remove the power steering pump pulley.

6.Remove power steering pump retaining bolts, and remove the power steering pump.

Installation

1.Position the power steering pump, and install and tighten all retaining bolts. Refer to illustrations below for bolt torque specifications.

2.Install the power steering pump pulley.

3.Install drive belt.

4.Install the pressure hose tube nut into the pump outlet fitting, and tighten to 34-54 N-m.

5.Connect power steering return hoses and power steering return line hose. Reposition the clamps.

6.Fill the power steering oil reservoir with MERCON® Multi-Purpose ATF XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent.

7.Start the engine and turn the steering wheel from left to right without hitting the stops to remove air from the system.

8.Check for leaks and recheck the fluid level. Add fluid if needed.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
KCB68 said:
So that shouldn't be too bad, right? It's easier than the box, right?
Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!

Less than $75 at your local parts house. Problem is you have to figure out if your fittings are standard or metric. For some reason Ford installed both. I went to get a pump and they need to know. I have not checked mine out to see what I have. I also planned on getting a $16 pulley rather than messing with trying to get the old one off without damaging it.

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Seems pretty easy. I should be able to handle that. I think I will get a new pully as well. Thanks again!

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be to have someone with a pulley installer put the new pulley on, or you might need a new pump if you try to pound it on again. The zone may be able to do it for you. Or a long bolt with the proper internal threads , a nut & a few good size washers should do it also.A R

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
You cannot get to the 3 bolts unless you have the pulley off. Same goes with putting it on. You have to bolt the pump into the truck before you put the pulley back on. I think if you really try you can get to 2/3 bolts with the pulley in place, but the 3rd one is not possible to reach.

When you go to get a new PS pump (I got mine from Autozone) Rent a pulley puller. Its a couple of bucks and very simple to use. That will get the pulley off. Then when its time to put the pulley back on (with pump bolted into the truck) The PS pump I bought came with a bolt, washer and nut. The bolt threads into the PS pump then you use the nut and washer to press the pulley back on. Like I said, this bolt/washer/nut for reinstalling the pulley SHOULD come with the new pump. Once you see the pump you'll know what I am talking about. One other thing to be sure of, make sure that the pump you get some with a lifetime warrenty. Most places like autozone, pepboys, or one of the checker stores carry lifetime pumps. Also call around and find the lowest price as the places I mentioned gaurantee lowest price. Once you get lowest price go to the store of your choice and usually they will beat that by 5%...save ya a couple of bucks.

Over the PS is a very simply R&R...

To Remove: Remove belt, remove High Pressure Line from the side, remove rubber reseroir line on the bottom, remove pulley with the rented puller, remove 3 bolts holding pump in and its out.

To reinstall: Bolt pump into truck with 3 bolts, install rubber hose to bottom of pump, install steel HP line into the side of the pump, Press Pulley onto pump using supplied bolt/washer/nut, reinstall belt, fill with fluid.

After you fill it back up with fluid you can do one of two things.

1) Jack up the front of the truck so the wheels are off the ground. Get in and turn the wheel full lock both directions. Then re-check and add fluid accordingly

2) Drive down the street a little bit after filling with fluid once, then re-check and add accordingly. If you do it this way just drive A LITTLE bit so you dont burn up the pump since it may not be full.

Good Luck!! If you have any more questions ask away!

ON EDIT: Make sure the pulley puller you get looks like THIS I got the wrong one the first time from a guy that didn't know what he was talking about. The other style will not work as its too big...it hits the Radiator if you try and get it in there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14