prblems??? or am i going crazy?

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been fighting with lil gremlins in my truck. today on a trip to dallas and back, the engine seemed to run louder, cackle more, a noise im not sure of but hope its the cackle noise, , seems to have some lack of power, and all of the sudden i am blowing more smoke than usual-not a hole lot more but definetely more and longer. i just installed guages last week, so i am not sure what the boost, etc really was before. less than 1500 miles ago, i replaced the turbo with a bb turbo, hpop lines and fittings, injector orings, headers, etc.

my question is... can the low sulfur deisel actually cause this much trouble? if the fuel is the problem, then why the smoke? ive been running the low sulfure since i did the injector orings ...or is there a underlying problem im not aware of? still runs good but not what it should be. could my ts 6 pos. chip be bad? i leave it in the 50hp setting when cruising and highway.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
my question is... can the low sulfur deisel actually cause this much trouble? if the fuel is the problem, then why the smoke? ive been running the low sulfure since i did the injector orings ...or is there a underlying problem im not aware of? still runs good but not what it should be. could my ts 6 pos. chip be bad? i leave it in the 50hp setting when cruising and highway.

My experience with ULSD was that my engine ran louder and almost sounded like it was cackling. I'd heard that adding 1oz of TCWIII 2 stroke engine oil (outboard motor oil) to 1 gal of diesel fuel compensated for the loss of sulfur lubricant in diesel fuel with the change to ULSD last fall. I can honestly say it does help. I've seen quieter running at high speeds & at idle. With a slight imcrease in MPG too.

Also take note if there is a change in engine noise that goes along with changing levels of fuel in the tank. Is it quieter with a full tank than when it is lower than 1/4? If it's noisier at 1/4 or less, you may be sucking air in the pickup assembly and may need to do a "Hutch" mod. Mine was once so bad the engine was dieing below 1/4 tank. I pulled the pickup assembly out of the tank and the pickup/intake fell off the assembly into my hand. :eek: :eek:

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i noticed the smoke, noise, etc this week mainly. then today i filled up at shell and from there, got louder, probably the cackle while cruising, and even more smoke. noise/cackle on accel seemed not to be bad or not even there. the smoke is concerning me since i dont have injectors or the switch on high hp. since i have a 02 with pm rods, this worries me as well. dunno.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'd throw a dose of cetane booster and a bottle of outboard oil in it and see if it quiets down.

If it does, I'd change where I'm buying my fuel for a few weeks.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i noticed the smoke, noise, etc this week mainly. then today i filled up at shell and from there, got louder, probably the cackle while cruising, and even more smoke. noise/cackle on accel seemed not to be bad or not even there. the smoke is concerning me since i dont have injectors or the switch on high hp. since i have a 02 with pm rods, this worries me as well. dunno.
Have you checked the fuel pressure yet ?...

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont have a guage to do it. i have a matco master fuel injection pressure kit, just not sure where to try to check it at. is there a quick access service port? a port in the head i can use thats easy to get to? i would hate to try to crack open the lines by the filter housing since theres rubber seals i think. dunno.

Last edited:

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, i put a bottle of cetane booster and 1qt or tcw3 in. seemed like it quieted up after a few minutes of driving down the road. even my wife noted it seemed quieter. dunno. still plan to check the fuel pressure somehow.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14