Problems since 06E17 Recall

Crazyhorse

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I finally got forced into having the 06E17 recall done on mine, due to California refusing to renew my registration without proof of completion. Since then it has had the following issues:
-Fuel economy decreased by 1.5-2.5MPG empty
-EGTs running 2-300 hotter cruising and under power, unnoticed at idle
-Transmission temps 30-50 degrees hotter
-Truck feels sluggish, the transmission is shifiting softer and later
-lag at takeoff is scary, I now have difficulty merging into traffic
-cruise control will not hold downhill speeds anymore, this is murder on the brakes when I'm towing in the hills
-Check engine light has been on 3 times since, dealer unable to diagnose (replaced ICP sensor, cleaned and reinstalled EGR, claims the check engine light is caused by my MBRP exhaust WITH the cat installed, and that I need to have it switched to a stock exhaust system, of course the exhaust was on the truck for 80,000 trouble free miles before the reflash)
-Towing our rockcrawler (4,700 LB bronco on an 1,800 Lb trailer) hills we could pull comfortably at 70-80 before at part throttle and EGT's in the 1100-1200 range, now require full throttle to maintain 55-60, and then require backing out because the EGT's are climbing above safe

Has anyone else had similar issues, or am I the only unlucky one? The truck ran perfect right untill this flash, it had never been flashed in the preceeding 89,000 miles, and had never been in for a single powertrain issue. It has now been in 3 times since the flash was done, and all they can come up with is that the exhaust and gauges must be causing all of the problems...

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet that they know exactly what the problem is but can't do anything about it because of the state required PCM flash. Or they could be complete idiots. Having never lived in California it is easy for me to say this, you should start looking for another state to reside. There is just too much garbage that comes from the politicians there that its easier to just take off. I realize that you might be attached to the place but with all that has been done to ruin the diesel market and California being the first to jump on that bandwagon, I couldn't even dream of even visiting the place.

A real recommendation though, take a road trip to another state and see if you can get the PCM flashed back to the program that you had before. Maybe you can keep the paperwork from the crappy flash and they wouldn't know that you don't have it anymore.

To all from California...I don't hold it against you guys for living there so don't get too mad at me. I just have some issues with the whole Global Warming thing and a few other political items and it has an affect on my opinion of the state, not you guys. If it wasn't for that, I might live there too.

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 06E17 isn't the latest flash. That was the previous one with the injector shutdown buzz. There's a new one that doesn't buzz at shutdown. It does some sort of "inductive heating" before you start. If you got the buzz maybe you should have it re-flashed to the new one. I've had the 06E17 (with shutdown buzz) for about 20k and haven't had any problems.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When they did the flash on my truck it droped the same amount of MPG's as yours did.
Sucks at the price of fuel today.

Crazyhorse

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The 06E17 isn't the latest flash. That was the previous one with the injector shutdown buzz. There's a new one that doesn't buzz at shutdown. It does some sort of "inductive heating" before you start. If you got the buzz maybe you should have it re-flashed to the new one. I've had the 06E17 (with shutdown buzz) for about 20k and haven't had any problems.

OK, must not be that flash then, the paperwork says:

Recall
Campaign 06E17
Recalibrated PCM, TCM and FICM as per Recall

However, my truck doesn't have the buzzing, so it must be the newer flash with the inductive heating. It was originally performed on June 11th, but has probably been repeated on at least one of the trips in since...

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be like an 06E17 verision 2? Maybe ford calls the flashes the same thing. But I am sure of the two different versions.

Crazyhorse

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
dunno what the flash # is right now. They're keeping it overnight tonight, they still haven't found a problem, however they are now at least agreeing that there is one. Supposedly (as if this would make me feel better) only the CA emissions trucks are having a problem with this reflash, and that problems are popping up at lots of dealers...

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bling,

If I ever meet you, I'll buy you a beer. I couldn't have said it any better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14