Purchasing High Mileage Super Duty

cc35mki

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and do not have a Super Duty at this time. We wish to purchase a 2006 or newer Crew Cab diesel. My wife has given me a ridiculously low budget to work with and I am trying to live within it. I have found a truck that fits our requirements and close to our budget. It is in very nice shape visibly and runs well. The options are mostly acceptable except for a bench seat, no cruise and a few dents. My wife doesn't even like cruise and she will be the principal driver. I get to use it when loaded with rocks drywall or whatever project I am on. Underneath it is exceptionally good and has obviously had many minor suspension components replaced. It was in 1 minor accident in 2009. My only reservation is the mileage, 190,000 miles but it is much nicer otherwise than our 97 Expedition with the same mileage which still runs fine but appears much more abused (see rocks above) and we owned it since new.

Obviously one has to be wary of a high mileage vehicle but these things are really HD and the engine should have all the 6l problems cured by this time but maybe due to recur.

Any suggestions?

Dave

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
You stated---- My wife doesn't even like cruise and she will be the principal driver. This may be a draw back on the 6.0 they are not grocery getters they like to work or you will have egr valve and turbo problems. This is high miles so the price must be good. Get a ScanGauge II to check the health of the motor the most important is the difference in EOT-ECT max set by Ford is 15* but i think 10* your coolers are starting to get plugged from the casting sand and silicate drop out from the Ford Gold Cxxp coolant and the first stop is the oil cooler. so 159$ it may save you 5-7K thats Dollars:eek: so do you homework before you drop the cash.
2 stroker

cc35mki

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply that is very useful and I will follow your advice. I realize they are not grocery getters and I have been warned, but my experience with the admittedly small diesel in our boat has made me a fan even though maintainance is higher than an equivalent gas engine. It will be worked and it will rarely be in stop and go traffic, but you are right it will be a grocery getter more often than it should. She doesn't care for our Integra which is much better suited for that purpose, but she will compromise.

This truck has lots of service records and looks better than many lower mile trucks, but I am still looking I've got time

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can get an Oasis Report from your local Ford dealer. Give them the VIN and they will give you a report that shows everything that Ford has done to that truck.

Dave :)

cc35mki

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got the Oasis reports from a very cooperative local dealer which showed no submitted reports. I find this odd because Carfax showed lots of regular service by a Ford dealer and some ambiguous statements parts were ordered. The reports were done by a Canadian dealer and it is a US truck. This implies they don't share information but that is surprising and contradictory. The dealer indicated they get all the reports from US vehicles.

It has no outstanding recalls.

Once again I got told they like to be worked. I am determined to have a diesel super duty even though it won't always have to work hard. Several of our neighbors have diesel SDs that are not frequently worked hard but they wouldn't go back.

I am about to order a ScanGauge II which has been something I have intended to do for some time. Thanks for the input it really is appreciated and useful.

Dave

Last edited:

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are many diesels on here with well over 200k. But i think a lot of them have been purchased at lower mileage and rolled up that high. At 190k most ofthe 6.0 problems have probably been cured. But I've found with buying used cars you can do all the homework, scans, and inspections but the unexpected will always occur. Even when I bought mine at 96k in 2006, 10k later I needed brakes, bearings, my trac bar bolt sheared... 1000 bucks in parts later I still need brakes and tires, but my motor is runnin tops! Ha ha. My wife is tight with the cash too when it comes to cars and what i told her when we bought her car is "spend less on the car, spend more on the fixing, more on the car, less on the fixing". When it comes to highmileage vehicles it's always hit and miss, you can have every record possible but you still will never know how the previous owner drove this thing.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

cc35mki

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
We have decided to look for a truck with less miles. Considering our budget and the insistence of knowledgeable people that probably will mean a 5.4L. Still like the diesel though and definitely not a V10. Did order a Scangauge II. Thanks for the help. I am going to keep looking.

Last edited:

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
Get a ScanGauge II to check the health of the motor the most important is the difference in EOT-ECT max set by Ford is 15* but i think 10* your coolers are starting to get plugged from the casting sand and silicate drop out from the Ford Gold Cxxp coolant and the first stop is the oil cooler. so 159$ it may save you 5-7K thats Dollars:eek
2 stroker

not to steal this thread but what oil cooler are you looking at for 159, I know there's alot to choose from, and I've been looking at bulletproofdiesel.com for theirs .

cc35mki

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just Purchased a 2006 F250 4X4 Extended Cab 5.4L XL with lots of miles but it has a very nice record from Carfax and Oasis. Southern Oregon truck and very few dents only a rather nasty dent top of the box midway. I get to pick it up Monday. On budget. Few options air, upfitter switches, manual 4X4,trailer towing. Considering the mess our wacky heeler leaves in the vehicle I will stick to the vinyl seats but I would like to change the bench for either buckets or 40/20/40 vinyl seats. Don't like to lose that middle seating position but the deep console would be nice. Power heated mirrors, locks and cruise later. Can use an upfitter switch to control mirror heat.

Has anybody had experience with aftermarket grilles and HD headlights? The OEM stuff even used are so expensive. The black plastic XL ones are not very attractive and I like the chrome grilles on the 05-07s. I will paint the bumpers body color. The latches and mirrors would be nice in ubiquitous Oxford white but a pain to do. My wife is getting real edgy about this so I have to put it to work quickly and make it pay.

Guess this is my last post in the PowerStroke forum.

Last edited:

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
Just Purchased a 2006 F250 4X4 Extended Cab 5.4L XL .....

Guess this is my last post in the PowerStroke forum.

we are all superduty truck fans here diesel and non diesel alike , granted this is a diesel based fourm, there is alot of information here that you can still benifet from with your superduty truck. stop by , chat a little and enjoy your new used truck:sweet

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14