Rear brake caliper sticking

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The left rear, drivers side, brake caliper 'sometimes' sticks. I replaced the caliper several months ago, flushed the old fluid out and the problem stopped. This past weekend I was pulling my toyhauler and had to make a quick stop, a lady talking on her cell phone pulled out and NEVER even looked my way...
Several miles down the road my truck just 'didn't feel right'. I stopped to check her out and could smell the HOT brakes on the left rear, the hub was too hot to touch!! The other three calipers were OK so no problem there. I loosened the bleeder valve on the left rear caliper to releave the pressure and didn't notice the problem again.
My question is what could be causing the caliper to stick? I have decided it MAY be the rubber brake hose between the caliper and the hard line on the axle as I didn't replace it when I replaced the caliper. The stock rubber line 'looks ok' on the outside but may be 'breaking down' inside and this could be my problem. Anybody got any ideas???

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as a frequent driver of older vehicles, I can tell you the rubber ilne is generally the cause which usually takes the caliper with it. Replace the line every time you have this issue or it will be back and destroy more calipers with it.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I loosened the bleeder valve on the left rear caliper to releave the pressure and didn't notice the problem again.
My question is what could be causing the caliper to stick? I have decided it MAY be the rubber brake hose between the caliper and the hard line on the axle as I didn't replace it when I replaced the caliper. The stock rubber line 'looks ok' on the outside but may be 'breaking down' inside and this could be my problem. Anybody got any ideas???

answered your own question right there.

replace the flex hose

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14