Rear Dif on its way out?

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Four years ago I had to replace the speed sensor on my 99. Had a lot of fuz on it. I have not had the rear rebuilt since it is still running as good as new. I have towed and traveled a lot since.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I wouldn't jump too soon to have it rebuilt. Lots of fuzz is normal. Its one of the reasons I replace the rear end lube at about 20-25k miles. It is usually full of crap. Never lost a rear end doing this. Yours is probably OK. Lots of fuzz is a great way to drum up a repair job.
Jim

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't jump too soon to have it rebuilt. Lots of fuzz is normal. Its one of the reasons I replace the rear end lube at about 20-25k miles. It is usually full of crap. Never lost a rear end doing this. Yours is probably OK. Lots of fuzz is a great way to drum up a repair job.
Jim

Especially if you have never got the oil changed before.

If it is not making any noise there most likely isn't much wrong. If a wheel bearing(s) is gone then you will hear noise all the time when you are on the highway. If it the gear set that is going or a carrier bearing then the noise will go away when you let off the throttle. Don't fix it if it ain't broke! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14