Rear Main Seal

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Pull the transmission. The seal contains a wear sleeve. This will require a special tool from Ford or International. This is required to install the sleeve and seal at the same time. Other than that it's not too bad.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vinni
Mine RMS is going. Let me know when you are going to change it out. Have a buddy who's dad has an auto shop. I am going go there and use their lift. I'll let you know when I do it and take pics.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
its fairly easy.remove the tranny.punch a screwdriver into the seal to pop it out.use a DREMEL tool with a small cut off disk to slice the wear sleeve.hit the sleeve with a chisel and take it out.place the new seal/wear ring into the intallation tool and drive it in.DO NOT REMOVE THE WEAR RING FROM THE SEAL!!!!!

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I thought my rear main was leaking too, but when I had the clutch replaced it was the pan gasket that was leaking into the bellhousing. It leaked alot. Did the quick fix using silicone rvt after cleaning it with brake cleaner. Didn't want to pull the engine to reseal the pan. Hasn't leaked yet.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Are you sure its the rear main seal. A top side engine oil leak runs down the back side of the engine and exits bell housing.................right where you would expect to see a RMS leak.

Tbar

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
A leaking EBPV actuator will drip down the rear of the block too, also looking like a rear main seal from the bottom side.

Vinni

I didn't do it
Reaction score
ugggggg, I am not sure. The oil has produced a wet look on both sides of the union between the engine and tranny. There is oil on the starter, some SS cooling lines, and then finally dripping out of the bell housing cover. It seems to be dropping about 2-3 drops a night; however, it is not bad enough as of yet to get the tranny fluid pan wet.

I wish i knew of a better way to diagnose in order to know exactly what needs to be done.

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
Vinni,

Just like posted above. I had the same exact situation & thought it was the rear main seal. Turned out to be oil seeping from the orange intake boots. Any oil leak up top will drip down the drain hole located in the back of the V of the engine & leak down the bell housing etc. Check on top of the engine and see if there is any oil in the valley, also check around the turbo pedestal and see if it is leaking there. Leaks from either of these will tend to look like a RMS leak. If you find oil, clean off the area with some simple green (with the engine cool) watch it and pinpoint were the leak is coming from. Most likely not the RMS, but it could be.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14