Rear view mirror removal/relocation

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I need to move my rear view mirror down about an inch in order to install my new overhead guage pod. I can get the mirror off of the mounting plate but I need to get the plate of the windshield. Any ideas?

Scott

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a rag under the plate that holds the mirror and spray carb cleaner on the top. The carb cleaner will eat away at the adhesive. Us a razor blade to help break the adhesive bond.

Cover your dash because you don't want any carb cleaner dripping on your dash!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a straight edge razor blade worked under & around
the mounting base will pop the thing right off.

do NOT pull on the mirror or the base...i have seen 'em
tear chunks out of the window/glass.

nevrnf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you cover the entire dash. Carb cleaner will damage the color of the dash if it gets on it!!!!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the carb cleaner isnt really necessary...work the
razor blade in & around the mount...itll pop right off...
and you wont have to worry w/ the dash.

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
When I replaced mine it was simply pull up or down on the mirror and it popped right off. Way to easy, I have used more force adjusting the mirror. If I did break the glass, my insurance replaces it for free, then no more scratches on the windshield (good thing). I think that if it is a factory install, you can pull it off using the mirror, no problem. I would not think you can tear a hole in the glass, it is designed to break out not in, in case of an accident, they don't want the passengers to be showered with glass fragments.
If they used some aftermarket glue, it maybe harder to remove. Besides how did you get it off the windshield without the FORD tool? I tried but finally just tore it off and glued on the new one, 1 hour total.

DZL_X_4x4

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14