Replace Steering Stabilizer??

talltexan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Since I am getting ready to replace all my tires on my 2003 F550 next month, and have some abnormal wear on the inside front edges of my front tires, I am also considering replacing the stock steering stabliizer with a more sturdy one. I also have a slight shimmy at around 45-50 mph only when not towing the fifth wheel trailer. I know it sounds unusual, but we experience no shimmy at all while towing. I have looked at the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer sold and installed at CampingWorld, but they want a fortune not only for the part, the adapter kit, and to install it. Anyone have any experience with this problem or suggestions?
(My truck has 19.5 rims and Michelin Pilot 225/70R tires with almost 70K miles on them. I keep them inflated at 95 psi.)

Finn

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello.
The problem actually does not sound unusual. While towing, you get some weight off from front tires, and if they are worn from inside, they might be aligned wrong. Then lighter front helps. When you get new tires, get the alignment checked.
I changed the stock steering stabilizer to Rancho. It made a small difference for steering.

Jukka

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello John, The ones at Camping World are good but pricey.
I think you can find a good one Rancho or some other brand for a lot less money.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello John, I just put on a dual rancho steering stabilizer. When I put the new lift on the tires wondered all over the road and now it is as staright as an arrow. Plus the front end alignment helped.