Replace wheel bearing or hub?

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2005 F250 4x4 PSD with 72000 miles. The last couple days I have noticed a clunk coming from the front driver wheel. When I climbed under the truck and inspected I was able to move the axle shaft in a circle. I suspected the u-joint was bad but the movement is in the hub itself, not the u-joint. My question is whether this is a wheel bearing problem or is the hub bad? Also, can the wheel bearing be replaced without replacing the entire hub?

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a solid unit, but i believe the rear needle bearings can be replaced. I would replace the whole thing.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From everything I have seen looking up parts I believe you are right that it is a solid unit the has to be replaced. Thanks

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that my extended warranty will cover it. I bought a 3 year/36,000 mile Ford extended warranty when I bought it.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked up the list of things covered by my Ford Extra Care extended service plan and it has bearings (front and rear) and drive axle housing (including all internal parts) listed as being covered. I could be naive but one of those 2 things has to include the hub.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck goes in tomorrow to be looked at. I have the list of service that was performed on the truck when it was traded in and the dealer replaced the front brake pads and turned the rotors. I'm thinking it may be as simple as something wasn't torqued properly when they reinstalled the rotor and has worked loose. I also noticed that the brake is pulling to the right when I apply the brakes which has me thinking this may be related to the brake service the dealer performed.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14