Replacing Glow plugs

cerisecons

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I hope this is an easy one. I have an engine code (P0672) that says I have a bad #2 glow plug. Is this something that I need to take my truck in to have replaced, or is it something I can do myself? I have rebuilt many gas engines, but have never worked on a diesel, with the exception of changing out the CPS, which was simple.

Reaction score
I'm far from mechanically inclined, but I replaced mine with some friendly assistance. ;) It's a little time consuming, but very do-able. Just remember this trick:
Glow plug removal:
This is a straight-forward service. After removing the valve covers and unplugging the glow plug(s), loosen the glow plug a couple of turns (10mm deep socket, 1/4" drive). Then push a 4-6" piece of vacuum line over the end of he glow plug and use the hose to unscrew and remove it. Use the hose to install and screw in the glow plug, then tighten with the socket. The socket will contact the rocker arms if used to remove the glow plug.

The hose will save you a LOT of time!:sweet

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Here are some photos of the work done on CHPMustang and Scarlet Apes trucks.

You can see the glow plug R&R as well as the injector oring replacement.

Poke Here

Tbar

cerisecons

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tbar, is it necessary to remove the injector to get at the glow plug? Also, why change the o-rings on the injector? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions, I just know gassers and really want to get to know my PSD better.
Thanks, CC

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'Nother good reason to go ahead & put o-rings on is becuase you have the valve covers off anyways...preventative maintenance...

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
does the cpu on the 99 power stroke know if one of the 8 glow plugs go bad???? or do I need to test each one of those yellow wires before I go slapping on another GPR?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14