shimmed my fpr...

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, heres the deal, i bought diesel innovations shim kit for the fpr, nice kit, comes with new end cap, and couple different machined shims, now heres where i messed up, it didnt come with destructions so i checked out where/how you would do the shim kit with just washers, and said cool...that'll work, well that was stupid of me, lol...putting the machined shim in the brass port under spring just closes off hole so it made 100 psi or so? ...lol, it pinned the gauge, ok so i realized i was being an idiot, took it apart and put the shim on the cap side, since they have a nice machined spot for it there, (shocker)!! lol.....well after the gauge spiked like that it woudnt come back down, so i got another gauge out of my hot rod supplies and tried it, well that gauge read 100 psi, or pinned the damn thing, finally i had enough and i took the smallest shim and put it in and used one more gauge cause that gauge never went all the way back down either, stopped at around 20psi and wouldnt go any lower after the truck was shut off. So after everything i still have a gauge that is pinned, with the smallest shim, everything looks fine on the install, the truck really runs no different, at least that i can tell, might have a little more pep off the line, thats bout it....nothing that 100 psi would do, lol...or at least that i would think...soooooooo, tell me did i scew up again somehow and that ***** is really makin 100psi? or just something else is screwy? hope the description isnt too damn confusing, lol

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn, i couldnt find them on their site to save my life, lol...thanks for finding that tailgunner, after looking, that is exactly how i did mine, (the final time at least), lol....strange how the gauge is still reading ultra high, well, i'm gonna put a good snap on gauge on it prob tomorrow and see what that reads then go from there, thanks again!!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
What was the stock psi before you installed the kit?

One thing I've after shimming many 7.3L's is the spring's pre load is very very sensitive! Believe it or not even the thickness of a few sheets of paper will alter the psi which is why I stick with the washers.

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was 52-55psi usually, before i shimmed it....i was going to put it all back to stock after it kept on goin high, but then on the final turn on the fitting i snapped the stock FPR cover, lol...my luck today, i wasnt sure if diesel innovations cap would work without a shim in it since it was machined to accept the shim, i put the smallest one in there and finished up.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Yes the DI housing will work without a spring. I ran mine that way once. You need to make sure the shim is seated in the recess. If it gets cocked in there it will increase the pressure.

Also there's the possibility that the housing was machined wrong. I would check it without a shim. That many gauges I would think throws out that they are wrong. 100 psi isn't going to change performance. The rail pressure is only filling the injectors, injection pressures are made by the high pressure oil part of the injector.

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hear ya, i think i'm gonnna take the shim out and see what it does like you said, been driving it around for a bit, but dont wanna driver her to long if the pressure is really that high, thanks for the ideas everybody!

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok update, i pulled the cap off, took the shim out and put it back together with just the diesel innovations cap, no shims...now my pressure is reading right at 70 with no shims, weird or just me? Maybe their cap is thicker than stock one? Dont know but now she is fine, finally, lol....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14