Shop/garage layout

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T Bar can you place those overhead cranes on just a normal 4" slab or do you need thicker more rebar type footings,
the 2 post lifts do they require engineered footings or can they be mounted on a 4"slab, would a 9k lift be adequate for a 3/4 ton ford super duty

No you cant, you need thicker and more rebar type footings. I put 3'x3'x12" in mine. On the lift that 9k is pushing it a lot. I go with a 10k or 12k on a 6" slab. I like the drive on four post with the trolly lifts that work in the center of the ramps.

Look at Greg Smith Equipment Sales they have a site on ebay.

d431_2.JPG

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
T Bar can you place those overhead cranes on just a normal 4" slab or do you need thicker more rebar type footings,
the 2 post lifts do they require engineered footings or can they be mounted on a 4"slab, would a 9k lift be adequate for a 3/4 ton ford super duty

Food for thought----

If you are specifying a 4" slab, then keep an eye on whoever is doing the work. When most people do a 4" slab, a 2x4 is used to grade the gravel before the concrete is poured. I haven't seen too many 2x4's that are a full 4" wide, they're all 3.5" after finish planing. End result, your 4" slab is only 3.5" thick. You may have paid for 4" and only got 3.5".

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Go with a 6" slab. As far as works space, 20x20 may be a little short for a service area. A short bed crew cab is 19' 10" long. You will want at least 6' in front and behind the truck. If you are talking workspace for workbenches and tooling then 20x20 should be good. Go with a 10K lift. 4 post drive on with trollies will keep you from having to worry about a cross bar hitting the roof of a vehicle.

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score
great advice on the slab thickness.... 4 post lift, it sounds like the majority of guys favor and at least 10k. I'll look into getting the extra thickness for footings for the lift.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
my 2 post required 4'' under the post but I over engineer so there is a 4'x4' 12'' thick pier with rebar under each leg it even keeps the excursion stable and the top cross bar has a safety switch so you cant crush roof .the big diff. between 2 and 4 post lifts is what you do with it, if I did exhaust systems I'd get 4 post but most other stuff a 2 post is good. It is very much a matter of personal opinion. I went with www.pantherlifts.com it was less than 2 grand delivered to f.o.b.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing I liked about the four post is it give you a work table to put your tools on. The best way to figer out what works best for you is find a shop that has a 4 post lift and put your truck on it and see what would work best. Talk to some shop guy and see what they like best. The other thing about 4 post lifts I'll park a car under it to save room, 2 post I dont trust doing that. I have see trucks and cars fall off 2 post too.

Image012.jpg

If you look at the back of the truck I had to put two jacks in to keep the truck from lifting in the front up.This is a 2 post 10k lift.

Last edited:

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score
thanks for the lift comments i appreciate the input..... off hand is there any big difference in price between the 2 and 4 post lifts? how about some pics of your shops for lay out

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I have a 32 by 40 shop, 10 by 10 doors, with 6 inches of concrete. It works out great for working on 2 things at a time with plenty of room for parts, benches, tool boxes, and metal and wood working tools and machines. I perfer a 2 post lift. Its easier to work on wheels, tires, axles. You don't have as many posts to walk into ether. My 10k hoist does fine with my F-350 cc short box.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58