Shucks! It wont start.

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the head gaskets, studs, oil cooler, EGR cooler, coolant filter and coolant filter are in. Finally! But it won't start. I know there is a ton of cranking that must be done to get the high pressure oil system all charged up but it looks like the batteries are too low. It cranks at about 75 RPM. I have the charger on them now. I did check 48V output at the FICM so that looks ok. If this low battery thing isn't the problem then I am going to measure the voltage at the ICP sensor to see if there is pressure in the system while cranking to hopefully rule out a high pressure oil system leak. I do show RPM so I am going to rule out the cam position sensor.

It didn't try to start and I didn't see any smoke from the exhaust. I am by myself so I couldn't check for diesel vapors while cranking. Seems like the whole 100RPM is keeping the FICM on lockdown until I can get the batteries charged. It needs to hurry up and start because i put some VC-9 in the coolant and I would like to get that stuff circulating. I know, I should have tried to start the engine first.

Anyway, just throwing this out there in the event someone else has any idea that I have missed. I am just sitting in the garage surfin the innernet while the batteries are on the charge. Any ideas would be great.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You must get the truck to crank at 500 rpm, or more, for the injectors to fire. Anything less will not fire.

Dave

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that right? I have been reading stuff like 100RPM. I guess I need to do more digging around. Thanks for the info. And, since I can't read a gauge, I was getting more like 200RPM. Do you think that the low batteries could be it? I am pretty sure you can't diagnose my problems over the internet but it sure would help to get some hope from somewhere.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
low batteries and a bad starter.. that puppy should whip right over..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14