Speed shifting

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My left knee has gotten very stiff and sore after an accident and being able to shift up an down through the gears without the clutch would be a big help. I have succeeded at this by timing my accelerating and shifting but I do grind gears a little bit. Can anyone describe how to speed shift on my truck (I think I have the 4:10 gears).

Thanks,

BigRedWeather

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You NEED a clutch to be able to speed shift. Push in the clutch and grab the next year as fast as you can. Try it without a clutch and you will be picking up transmission parts off of the ground.

Dave

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These things don't like to be shifted without the clutch! I don't care how good you are, the sychros will be toast in a short time (and they are not cheap!). I don't know if it would help your knee, but a Luk or SBC flywheel/clutch conversion is much easier on the leg. Cheers!

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
Try it without a clutch and you will be picking up transmission parts off of the ground.

Dave

Second that, I don't care how good you are, your syncros will be hating life. Instead of matchin speeds with the input shaft free spinning, they will be in a fight between the engine and ground speed.

You can do this with a 10 speed eaton, etc all day and not hurt a thing when you are smooth and don't grind, but they DO NOT have syncronizers.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
My RTO 13 speed was the same way, no syncros and you could shift it like a bandit if you were good.

Dave

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
These things don't like to be shifted without the clutch! I don't care how good you are!

Correct ..

I drive about 130,000 miles a year shifting 18 speed and 10 speed transmissions using the clutch only for take-offs. When driving my 5-speed PowerStroke truck I cannot make 5 shifts without scratching one unless I use the clutch so I use the clutch at all times. I suggest you find something else to drive until your leg heals up or you will be doing a transmission rebuild.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
i found that out the hard way. i let my brother drive my truck(he likes to shift his dodge w/out the clutch) and when it came back it was grinding in 2nd and 1st gear when it was down shifted. it would also pop out of reverse. all 3 gear forks were toast, new synchronizer rings, need synchros but i don't have the money for them, and i had to buy all the seals for it.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i found that out the hard way. i let my brother drive my truck(he likes to shift his dodge w/out the clutch) and when it came back it was grinding in 2nd and 1st gear when it was down shifted. it would also pop out of reverse. all 3 gear forks were toast, new synchronizer rings, need synchros but i don't have the money for them, and i had to buy all the seals for it.

sounds like your brother needs to help out with costs.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
yeah i thought so too, but the tranny man said that it looked like it had been like that a while. i guess it just didn't start screwing for awhile after.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14