Help Needed sudden loss of power!! wth?!?!

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i was driving back to a company apartment from work in south louisiana and as im taking off from a stop sign , my 05 f250 has no power...idled fine at stop sign but go to take off and theres nothing there...managed to get into a parking lot and put it in neutral and let it idle for a few seconds while easing into the throttle, blew a big cloud of smoke and then everything was fine (yes i had plenty of diesel) so i drive down the road for a lil ways and it does it again but while im driving...immediate loss of power and the rpm's wouldnt go above a grand and it was chugalugging as if i had no diesel... but while its chugalugging and bucking to go its bellowing out plumes of solid black smoke (no white at all) then all of a sudden were golden and running like a champ...well now that im back home and 300 miles later no problem...
ford says the turbo could be clogged with carbon build up...i only have 85k on the motor and its stock with the exception of straight pipe from cat back... im at a loss here...thankfully i have warranty but they said they wont cover the turbo if it just needs to be cleaned bc that is considered "maintnance" any help would be awesome...thanks guys:dunno

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(thankfully i have warranty but they said they wont cover the turbo if it just needs to be cleaned bc that is considered "maintnance")

Yes, go to another dealer, mine has been cleaned once under warranty. You can clean it yourself if you have a little time. Good Luck.
Doug

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Another possibility is a bad positive battery connection. The FICM relies on a voltage doubler to work. In the case of my wife's grooming van, which had a 6.0 PowerStroke diesel, the positive cable corroded, there was enough of a voltage drop to where the van did exactly what you described, no power, lots of black smoke. Replacing the cable fixed the problem.

As for "cleaning the turbo" if you drive like International intended, the turbo shouldn't clog up. In other words, take that truck out and blow the snot out of it every once in a while. Good for the truck, and the acceleration when the turbo kicks in is good for the soul.

Last edited:

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well my plan was to the battery connection over the weekend but i decided beer and partyin sounded more fun...lol... just got back to louisiana last night and dropped it off at ford this morning...said they should have it diagnosed by the end of the day...funny thing is that it drove home friday night (260mls) no problem and all weekend and then back out here... oh well whatever

appreciate all the help and ill holler back on here when they tell me the scoop and if warranty tries to bend me over.. :hmm

thanks so much!!

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok heres the end result... just got the call from the stealer, it aint the turbo its the EGR... to delete or not to delete....lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14