Super Duty F250 rear tire wear

EK410

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 2013 F250 4X4, Crew Cab, with the10,000 GVW package which I bought new, is wearing the inside of both rear tires. It has 25,004 miles and I rotated the tires every 10k. At 24,000 miles I turned the tires around on the rims so I could wear the other side of the tires. I pull a 37' fifth wheel RV with a dry weight of 12,100 and a dry hitch weight of 2,650. Fully loaded I estimate those weights increase by 1000 and 500 pounds respectively. Most of my trips pulling the RV are 200 to 700 miles one way. I have been pulling RV's for 30 years and this is the first time I ever experienced rear tire wear mainly on the inner 1/3 of the tires.
Is this due to the heavy weight and the slight weaving I get during cross winds? Oh, I did take it to my dealer and their equipment showed all tires and axles are in alignment and in spec.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Are you running the correct tire pressure for the weight of the truck and load? It does sound funny to be wearing the inside (Tread?) or both rear tires.

EK410

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
murray2015.jpg
Are you running the correct tire pressure for the weight of the truck and load? It does sound funny to be wearing the inside (Tread?) or both rear tires.
I'm running 80 psi in the rear; which is what the sticker in the door and the tire sidewall states for max load. I do double tow some as well. I will pull a 10' single axle trailer with a 900 Polaris Ranger on it. This doesn't add any hitch weight but may influence my weaving some. I'm about to decide I need to upgrade to a dually...IDK.
Here is a pic of everything all ready to go.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A daully would solve all of your problems. Your current truck looks to be maxed out. :thumbs

x2.. The rear Squat.. of yer 250 sez a lot. A DRW would fix that.. Yes, but for the tire wear you can look up a PSI chart for your [specific] brand & tire size.. and the 2650K (known) load on the rear axle. The load chart will tell you what PSI should be.. in Each Rear tire.

The 80psi max.. on the tire.. is only what MAX load the tire is/was built to handle. Your 2650 rear axle load might call for a different PSI, per tire ?

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good set of air bags will lift the rear of your truck up and your drive line will love you for it. Ok I think I found your problem, bear with me.
( Fully loaded I estimate those weights increase by 1000 and 500 pounds respectively.) I would bet more. Take your truck and RV to a Truck Stop and have it weighed. It will cost you a little more, but with fuel tank tops off and everyone in the truck, pull on the scales and have the person to give you a weight, and tell her or him you want
a reweigh. Drop the RV over at the side somewhere and drive across again stopping your front tire where you stopped it the first time. Good Luck
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Doug said.. Fer Shur.

Air Bags will help get rid of the squat, but knowing yer front axle, rear axle and trailer axle weights.. LOADED.. in relation to your trucks GCVWR.. will tell you where your at.. and/or where you Need to be. For the Safety of you and yours.

With the tongue weight of the Cart trailer bearing down on the rear 5r bumper & frame, and the tongue weight of the 5r.. and your 250 is squatted as it is... I'm guna stand up and say: You need more Truck.

'Jus an .03 ?

Joe

EK410

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your input. I'll check all the things you all suggested. I have weighed the rig as shown in the picture and I still have the scale ticket. It weighed 26,400#. I can go back and check the weight on the rear end. I agree with Joe...I need more truck.
As you may be able to see from my profile pic we use our Ford's hard here on the ranch. That is a 2004 F350 cab/chassis 4x4, 6.0 with a hydraulic hay bed and a 750# feed hopper mounted. My load is on a 34' dual tandem trailer with seventeen 6'x5' round bales which weigh about 1800# each.
Eddie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58