Time to do a clutch...

hellums99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey all, my '97 1 ton's clutch has seen better days! I was wondering if anyone has an opinion for me on which clutch to go with. I've heard that vallejo single mass clutches are pretty good. :dunno Was just wanting to get some input from fellow owners. Thanks for any and all advice. P.S. I'm probably gonna go ahead and get the transfer case gone through while I have it out, too. And, looks like the rear main is seeping a little. :clap:

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely go with a Single Mass Flywheel (SMFW) conversion kit. If you are still stock, you will have a Dual Mass (DMFW) setup and generally you need to replace the flywheel and clutch for this job (can't just resurface the DMFW). The SMFW setups are a lot cheaper and have much lighter pedal action than stock. The only downside is the gear rollover noise at low RPMs you'll hear with the SMFW setups (the DMFW dampens that noise). You'll probably get a bunch of opinions on this. There are guys that are very happy with their Valair setups, same for Luk, same for Valeo, and also for the Southbend Clutch (SBC). I went with the SBC Con-O (organic linings on both sides of the disk ... Con-OFE has organic on one side and feramic (I think) on the other) and have been happy with it. Cheers!

Last edited:

hellums99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, I think I've decided to go with a Val Air clutch with a single mass flywheel. Thanks for the advice.:sweet

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Let us know how you like it. I need to replace mine this spring as it is starting to slip a little when I put the hammer down. Still haven't decided which one I am going with.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno I went with the SMFW, LUK. As the others have said.. you get the Gear Growl, but what the Hey. Dang Good clutch assembly, as compared to OEM.

Check the tranny input shaft bearing for any out of spec play ? Kinda common that as the OEM clutch/throwout bearing goes south.. so >can go< the input bearing. Mine did.

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14