Tranny gave out

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the tranny gave out on me today. No warning what so ever really. I drove to work no problem and then today when leaving work I felt it surge a bit when slowing down. (The truck has been sitting 14 days as I have been gone) Then I tried to get up to speed and seemed all fine. Then another stop light about 12 miles from home and could barely get going. I could hear a nice hum underneith and a bit of surging but I could tell it was not fully locking. I nurserd her home to the driveway and stuck the oil pan and a few pails under it, as she was bleeding to death.

I have a feeling it is my fualt as I have not changed the oil in about 40K miles if not a little more as the last owner said it had recently been done before I bought it but I'm not sure how recent.

195K on the truck and stock transmission so I can't beleive it lasted this long.

I would read the tranny temp but the gauge has never worked since I've boughten it. Never figured out why.

There is oil everywhere but I can't figure out exactly where till it stops but it seems to mostly becoming out of the weep hole on the front bottom cover.

Any Ideas? Looks like it may be time to buy that new deep pan, install the extra oil cooler I have in my garage and make a couple of updates to the tranny.

There is a guy near by that charges 300 fixed labor plus parts. I assume that is a pretty good deal.

Anyway hopefully you can all help me diagnose the true depth of the tranny death and some useful upgrades that are somewhat costworthy. I know I read some stuff in a recent diesel power mag about our trannies. I might have to go back and read that. Good thing I have an extra car. And to think I just put it up for sale yesterday :) guess it is comming back off.

Thank you,

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
tranny problems suck brother believe me I know! but it'll get fixed, just try not to look at the money flying out of your hands. I had a hard time with that but its gotta be done. best of luck to you!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
My guess is the TC fried and sent frags throughout the rest of the tranny. I would buy an aftermarket TC for the reinstall and do some kind of valvebody kit, be it the FTVB or Transgo kit etc..... If you arent (or dont plan to)throwing insane HP and TQ at it you wont need all the fancy schmancy billet stuff.

Dont know that you need to pop for a deep pan, I would trash the stock cooler and get a good stacked plate unit on there, make sure you (or your rebuilder) flushes EVERYTHING good to make sure there are not metal frags left floating around still.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YIKEs. Good bye TC eh? :dunno

No I don't ever plan on throwing a lot of power to it but as the years go on and the truck becomes more of a toy than an every day driver and work horse I'm sure I will. So I would like to build it a bit better than it was of course. That way I can throw on another 100RWHP down the road and not have to worry about it as much.

Diesel Kineivel. I noticed in your sig that you have a Jasper Tranny. I guess I will have to do some research but is that a whole new tranny or a guy that rebuilt it for you in your area?

When I first bought the truck I did a lot of towing and I probably will a lot in the future so I guess a good rebuild is just a necessity.

I've gone and done a small search but not a lot on tranny upgrades on the forum.

Any Favorite brands or good deals out there for the product that any of you have had experience with. And if it is the case my TC is gone esp and TC's (I notice they all seem to be around 1000+)

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Any Favorite brands or good deals out there for the product that any of you have had experience with. And if it is the case my TC is gone esp and TC's (I notice they all seem to be around 1000+)

That sux! My aftermarket heavy duty TC was half that price but it's a remanufactured item. It has been going strong for the last 60K when I had my rebuild. Part number E4OD-4SLHD

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
addicted-
My Jasper tranny was between $1800 and $1900 all together. They did like 15 updates this year on the Transmisson. the jasper's been doing good for me (knock on wood) and Ive got a chip in it. just food for thought

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the input. I will have to give those guys a call.

I called a guy locally who rebuilds Trannies out of his garage for extra cash on the side. Said he could have it done in a week and would charge 300 flat rate. So I was pretty happy about that. Only problem is I have to yank the tranny myself which means I need to take it back to the autoshop on base (I think I can limp her there as I dont' have a trailer) but it should save a bundle plus I love any chance I can get to work on my truck.

So is that re-man TQ you bought a stock re-man unit or does it have a little extra umph? I would like to upgrade "slightly" while I'm in there and I figure a slightly better TC, some sort of Transgo kit, and some better components and I would be a happy camper.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
So is that re-man TQ you bought a stock re-man unit or does it have a little extra umph? I would like to upgrade "slightly" while I'm in there and I figure a slightly better TC, some sort of Transgo kit, and some better components and I would be a happy camper.

The HD in the part number means it's in the heavy duty class of TCs they make. Why don't you call PDQ, Inc. toll free at (800) 852-3351 and ask them about the specific upgrades in their E4OD-4SLHD and warranty info?

I had a Trans Go kit (not the Tugger kit) installed during my rebuild 60K ago. It was a good move.

Nazty 4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tranny died last winter. I ended up going w/ a Ford factory tranny and tc. Added a B+M deep trans pan, some gauges and banks transcommand. It came w/ 3 yr 75,000 mile warranty(they just bumped them up from 36,000 miles). I have 42" tires and tow w/ it, no problems yet, shifts good, it has never been above 180 degrees(that was in the dead of summer going through mountains). I got the tranny through a friend who owns a shop at his cost and I didnt have to worry about core cost. $1750 for tranny and TC, $175 deep trans pan, $270 trans command, i forget the gauge price.
just my $.02.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14