Tranny service

Reaction score
I recently talked to my local repair shop about a tranny service. They tried to sell me on this new process of adding a solvent to flush, then pumping new fluid in as it pushes the old fluid out by hooking on to the tranny cooler lines. They do not change the filter. I dont think this process sounds all that great, but I do not know that much about it. Can anyone shed some light on this subject so I can make a decision on what to do?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like anything I would want. There is no reason to run solvent through the tranny. If your tranny is THAT bad, it would need rebuilding. Always change the filter with a tranny flush.

Dave

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would ask them what the solvent is more than likely the solvent is not really compatible with the seals in the transmission leaving you with problems sooner or later because you can't remove 100% of the fluid from an automatic transmission with the transmission in the truck.

Not changing the filter is asking for problems especially after a flush.

I would suggest following the procedure in the wiki for changing your fluid and filter.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Did alot of these back when I was still turning wrenches for a living. The solvent is a very mild additive that is used to soften any clutch residue that might be clinging to the filter. If it's like the stuff i was using, it won't harm anything unless you are already to far gone with tranny wear. The only problems we ever saw,was if the tranny was on it's way out, it might speed up the process. The flush itself uses a special machine that backflushes the filter, essentially cleaning all the crap out of the screens. They are not like a regular paper element filter, they are made up of a fine metal mesh and they only "screen" the oil and keep the debris in the pan, out of the trans internals, not "catch and hold" like most other filters do. This flush is the only way to get all of the fluid out of the tranny. Dropping the pan only changes 1/3 to 1/2 of the oil, leaving dirty oil to mix with the new, essentially making it all old again instantly! If done on a regular basis-before troubles start, this flush is a better way to go imo. The fluid is what does all the work in an automatic, it cools,creates pressure,and helps prevent wear. that's a big job for any fluid. I say don't knock it till you try it, it just might surprise you how much crap comes out of the tranny this way!

JMF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This is just my opinion.... If you are having troubles with a tranny, then you absolutely change the filter with a fluid change.... which usually by then it's too late anyway. If you are just doing PM work.... then a flush is the way to go. I have yet to find a filter with a bunch of trash in it, that survived after a tranny service with filter change.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are not like a regular paper element filter, they are made up of a fine metal mesh and they only "screen" the oil and keep the debris in the pan, out of the trans internals, not "catch and hold" like most other filters do.

I beg to differ, The filters that I have changed in my E4OD and the 4R100's I've been around are of a design that will catch and hold the finer debris. The media is about 3/16" thick.

I will agree that dropping the pan & changing the filter there leaves tons in the system that is old and dirty. My torque converter fortunately has a drain plug which when combined with draining the cooler stacks puts me within 2 quarts of the full capacity of the system.

When it comes to transmission maintenance a transmission that has not seen good fluid (which is a reasonable solvent to start with) should just do pan drops & filters more frequently to slowly bring the crud out of the system rather than in one single shot. If you're at 30-50K then a flush is an acceptable plan of attack. If you're knocking on 90k on the OE fluid then you're begging for problems doing any drastic changes like a complete flush but a 30% change (pan & filter drop) would likely be beneficial.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14