Trans Cooler Fan

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't afford a 6.0 trans cooler right now so I was thinking of adding a 7" fan or two on the stock cooler to help things out.

The fans are advertised at 500 CFM each, would they make any difference at highway speed? Would they really help with cooling or would I just be throwing my money away?

My trans currently runs around 170 when towing but we will be crossing the Nevada desert a few times this summer with the TT and I want to make sure I make it.

Thanks

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When running at highway speeds I don't think the fans would help you very much, but when you are in town or running real slow you could turn them on for more cooling.
Doug

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Are the 6.0 trans coolers a direct bolt on or do you have to do mods to your truck?

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much a bolt-in replacement, at least it was on my early '99 a few years ago. The only thing needing a little adapting was the hose nipple going into the cooler is a little bigger if I recall. Makes a world of difference in keeping your trans cool. Probably 35-40 degrees on average. If you shop around a little you can probably find one between $150-$200. They seem to pop up on various diesel forums once in a while at the lower price. There is a 26 row version and a 31 row version. I've also heard that the gasser V10 cooler is supposed to be about the same size but doesn't have the tabs to make it a direct bolt-in (typically zip-tied or you can buy mounting kits).

Edit:

FORD SUPERDUTY TRANSMISSION FLUID COOLER | eBay

There seems to be a few on ebay (like the one OilBurner linked above) in the $200-$225 range used. Not long ago you could find a new one for the same.

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I will def need to get one since I do hauling with mine but not pullin super heavy loads. Wonder how much they are at Ford? I've seen some ford parts actually cheaper than aftermarket ones.

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the fans installed a few days ago and have put about 300 miles on them since. Honestly, I haven't noted much of a difference.

I have turned them on at highway speeds and while stuck in traffic. Yesterday, I sat in traffic for about 15 minutes right before I pulled into my driveway. I figured this would be the best chance to see if they made a difference.

As soon as I pulled in the driveway, I shut the truck off and immediately slid under the truck to feel the trans cooler. Surprisingly, it was cold to the touch.

My conclusion is that no matter how cold (to a point) the trans cooler is, the fluid does not spend enough time in it to make any real difference. Since my trans has never overheated, I figure this means that my stock cooler is running near it's limit. I think this is something we all know.

Looks like a 31 fin cooler will be getting installed (with the fans) by July.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14