Trans Temp 170+

Vinni

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the threat or anything

but

I was reading through this thread (and many others) due to some tranny issues I have been having.

The other day i took off from the house and shortly after traveling a short distance (maybe 15-20 miles) my tranny gauge was already reading about 195* (91*outside). Shortly after that, the OD light began to blink and then the tranny started shifting REALLY hard from 1st to 2nd.

As of late, it seems my tranny temp seems to stay around 170-185* on the highway at 75-80mph; however, once i get into a stop and go situation on the surface streets, the tranny begins to really heat up.

- Could it be that my fluid needs to be flushed?
- Is it possible i might have an obstruction not allowing proper fluid flow through the pump/cooler?
- I know i need to get the codes read - but has anyone experienced anything like this?

Matter fact - last time i tried to read any codes ont he truck at an AutoZone - two different readers powered on once plugged into the port; however, were unsuccessful with pulling codes and threw up a communications error.

- Any ideas on that?

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
I would drain and drop the tranny pan, see if there are any metal parts/sludge in the bottom of the pan. Then blow out the portion of the radiator where the tranny coolant lines connect with an air hose. My torque converter was chewing itself up last winter and had similar symptoms, but it could also be a coolant restriction issue.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont waste your cash on a oversized pan... More fluid just means more to cool and heat to operating temp... Stock 4x4 pans are what leave the shop at BTS and Suncoast and thats what is still on mine... Never had a tranny temp issue...

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to have to drop my pan soon. Still getting 170+ but the temp is 90'+ But still need to drop and give it a check just to be on the safe side. Going to drive to Arkansas in late Sept. So need to make sure that everything is running good.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Figured I'd bring this up and it addresses some of the issues I'm having as well.

I've got my temp sensor in the test port on the side of the tranny and it normally reads 175-180 when cruising at highway speeds. Towing today it got up over 200 for a little while. I remember reading somewhere that the test port will give you a reading about 30* higher than the pan, so considering the I have my sensor in the test port, what's the highest I can go safely? It seems to easily reach 200 when I'm towing, especially on long steep grades (think 10,000ft mtn passes which I go over every time I tow).

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14