Question Transmission wont upshift?

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been serviced about every 15k since i got it and has in the last 3 years had 3 full flushes from the dealer which replaces 16q of oil. What is/ where is ? the Boost valve located is this in the valve body? I noticed the Brians transmissions sells a valve body i could install myself. maybe i should call them and give them symptoms and see what they think.
Thanks for the responses. I'm still trying here.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
whats the fluid look like. Like the color and smell??? Is it low? Maybe a new valve body and flush is in order? Beats getting a new tranny!

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fluid is red and it doesnt smell burnt or anything. I am kind of hoping that its a valve body or something maybe i need to run a cleaner through it, is there such a thing as a tranny flush fluid.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on this.
Talked to Brian at BTS today and he said to change the filter and 8 quarts and see what happens. He told me when the dealership does the flush i have been getting done for last three years they dont change the filter so i dropped everything this morning and the fluid was very dirty, on the dipstick it looked red, it was not really burnt just dirty, the magnets were not very dirty at all so i am confused about all these results of this change i will put a couple hundred miles on it and see what happens. Brian also told me to put Dextron 3 in it not synthetic, he said its better and definitely cheaper. He said if it still does it it might need a solenoid Ill let you know.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update to the update FINAL

well i took it to a local tranny guy who built some race transmissions for me. I asked if he was familiar with the 4r100 and he said yes he built quite a few for folks pulling RV's. So he did the whole thing in and out for about
$3800.00 which parts were listed at about $2200.00 including a torque converter that was about $800.00 of the parts.

He tore it apart and all the forward clutches were burnt out of it. There is a snap ring that is supposed to hold/return the 2nd gear piston to neutral and this had popped off and would not allow the return to full neutral so it was always slipping. it wore the top of the device it is supposed to be on so he had to replace the Drum i belbelieve. As well as some other items that had been damaged including updating the diode device (not sure of the name but sounded like that). He installed a transgo tugger kit for HD application. It now runs a lot cooler by about 15* and the shifts are all firm but not crazy hard. He uses only Schaeffer oil so that is good. He reinstalled/plugged in the banks trans command so that should help make it last although i get the impression the shift kit does about what the trans command does. Changing direction R to D there is no longer this very long delay.
I was going to order one from BTS but i did not have the time to install it in my garage, and i feel my shop did a very good job of rebuilding mine and i look forward to many 100's of thousands of miles of trouble free driving. Had i been able to do it myself I think after all my research and everybodies input i would have gotten a BTS tranny.
Any how thanks for the help and maybe somebody who is having my trouble on the diagnosis side will be able to read this and get going down the correct road.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
The diode was a failure it killed many 4R100's. It was replaced with a back dated type sprag. The snap ring is another problem area. There are updates for that too.

The shift kit is suprior to the Banks stuff. The shift kit will address the problem areas of the tranny. Banks stuff just masks the problems by electronicly fooling the PCM.;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58