Turbo Lag

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered a hundred times or more but I'm being lazy and decided to ask anyway so I apologize in advance.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the turbo lag on a stock 05 6.0 Powerstroke? Money is extremely tight right now so I'm looking for something as inexpensive as possible. The turbo lag at take off is the only thing I have found that I don't like about the Powerstroke engine.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
All turbo charged engines will have some lag at take off. The key is to ease into it a little, then mash it. You have got to get the turbo to spin up before it will make horsepower.

Dave

JRJ04

Reaction score
ive been told from time to time too that these turbos need to have their vanes flexed...aka run the hell out of it every now in then so things dont get hung up.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Like I said I got used to the Cummins that seemed to build boost immediately and keeping building up to about 38 psi. I know the Powerstroke is different but it's difficult not to compare the 2 engines. Once the Powerstroke builds boosts it's definitely a lot quicker than my Cummins, even with the Cummins chipped.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
You can check for boost leaks. Even the smallest of leaks can compromise spoolup,power. DieselSite sells a leak detector that installs at intake before turbo. It allows you to pressurize the system and find and correct any leaks. Tip: If your using a portable compressor, place it far away so you can listen / hear better.

wilson111

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ive been told from time to time too that these turbos need to have their vanes flexed...aka run the hell out of it every now in then so things dont get hung up.

hell, the only thing i could get to flex was the head bolts!:lmao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14