Turbo Surge???

wpecjak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
After upgrading my f350 using all of your advice, finally got to hookup and tow my 5er. Assaulted Vail pass and the Eisenhower tunnel hill in Colorado. Big difference, pulled the hills really well, although 2 inches of slush and snow on vail, caused problems keeping RPMs up.:eek:

But have an issue going down the freeway, turning about 2k RPM, 900*EGT. a slight rise in the road, which unloaded would just increase boost, I get a rattling(chirping) or other weird sound, boost will not go above 12 lbs, but EGT hits 1200* in about 3 seconds. I have to completely back off the pedal then hit it again, which usually results in a down shift, and a popping neck. I have had the turbo checked, all good (Clean, no missing vanes, no shaft movement other than normal). Snapon code reader shows all gauges accurate, and no codes.

Is this turbo surge? Or something else. This occurs in all DP Tunes including 80E and 80E mountain, 20,40,60,80 tow. So don't think it is a tuner issue

I can get 24 pounds boost without any weird noise. Just at the 8 to 12 pound boost range. I thought Turbo surge was at the upper boost ranges, not mid range.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My turbo surge happens, for example, when I take off from a stop...at almsot just a second before the transmission shifts gears. Or when I'm pulling my 5th wheel up hill.

I just bought my wicked wheel from xtreme diesel and the 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust. They have about the best deal on the wicked wheel I have found. The only downside is that it takes a month to get it.

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my WW from Bob at Diesel Site, took a week to get to my door step. Might put it on tomorrow or work on the new bed for the camo truck

wpecjak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies kinda what I thought. But why use the wicked wheel when but their own specs say only stops 80% of surge, and all comments that I have seen say they are really, really noisy, with less boost. I thtink I will go with the ATS ported housing, no increase in noise, and all surge stopped.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the noise, it's not really much extra except a bit of a whistle... And I don't see less boost. I have 28 psi according to my gauge. I bought the turbomaster wastegate controller too.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you know, I tow about 9,000# on a given haul, I can't ever remember hearing the turbo surge in my truck... just sayin..

wpecjak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
JL I think your right, if you keep the RPMs up you don't get surge. but got myself into some conditions where keepng the RPM above 2k wasn't working, didn't want to go to lower gear pulling 5% grade with 2" of slush and ice, already had traction problems, and 50 MPH cross winds, tend to get your foot off the go pedal. So ended up hearing surge, guess its better to fix it so next time I won't break something.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you keep the RPMs up you don't get surge. but got myself into some conditions where keepng the RPM above 2k wasn't working, didn't want to go to lower gear pulling 5% grade with 2" of slush and ice, already had traction problems, and 50 MPH cross winds, tend to get your foot off the go pedal. So ended up hearing surge, guess its better to fix it so next time I won't break something.

Altitude ?? Thin Air ??

I know mine will Chirp.. pulling grades at above, say... 5000 feet ? Just can't get enough air (volume).. with the 5r in tow. Un=loaded.. no problem

Joe

wpecjak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah Big Joe but pulled these same passes before the mods without Surge. Vail pass is 10k+ but also had surge at less than 5K. Thought I was blowing a turbo so had it all checked out, since I'm 1000 miles from home. no codes, not damage in turbo, no play in shaft,except normal. So Surge or waste gate must be the culprit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14