Vacuum pump ???

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my truck in to the local Ford garage the other day for brake work. The service manager called when it was done and told me I needed a new "vacuum pump". He explained to me that was the reason my steering wheel was so hard to turn when the engine was at low RPM's and/or I had my foot on the brake.

Now I know the brakes are boosted by the power steering pump and I figured I just needed a new one, but I'd never heard of a vacuum pump before. I looked it up on the Autozone and Rock Auto web sites and they both show a belt driven diaphragm type pump.

So I grabbed my trusty Haynes manual to look up the removal and re-installation procedure. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

This morning I decided to go look for myself. Popped the hood and I don't see any thing that even remotely resembles what I saw on those websites.:dunno

Anyone else know anything about these pumps of which they speak?

Thanks,
Howard

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
On my 01 it was on the right side inner fender toward the firewall if I remember right. Its not very big and should make noise when you first turn your key on.

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 01 it was on the right side inner fender toward the firewall if I remember right. Its not very big and should make noise when you first turn your key on.

There's a bunch of stuff in that area. Anybody have a picture of this thing?

Howard

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
diesel engines dont develop vac. like a gasoline engine (so you have
to have an electrical vac. pump on the ford)

its a black plastic rectangle box w/ some vac. lines feeding into it.

the top of it is slightly dome'd and it sits on the passenger side
fender in the engine bay

its also used to operate the auto-hubs & a/c vent systems...have you
been having issues with those ???

The vac. pump is NOT related to the power steering system.

i was unaware that the brakes are "boosted" by the power steering
pump and if they are why would you need to replace the vac. pump !?!

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
diesel engines dont develop vac. like a gasoline engine (so you have
to have an electrical vac. pump on the ford)

its a black plastic rectangle box w/ some vac. lines feeding into it.

the top of it is slightly dome'd and it sits on the passenger side
fender in the engine bay

its also used to operate the auto-hubs & a/c vent systems...have you
been having issues with those ???

The vac. pump is NOT related to the power steering system.

i was unaware that the brakes are "boosted" by the power steering
pump and if they are why would you need to replace the vac. pump !?!

Ok, I think I see what your talking about. Directly behind the right battery is a domed black plastic box, 9.5"X5.5"X6", rounded on the end closest to the engine and sitting directly atop the fender. There appears to be several hard black plastic lines coming out of it. Is this the pump your referring to?

Yes, the brakes are boosted by the power steering pump. Follow the lines coming from the booster (between the master cylinder and the firewall). They go to the power steering pump. As you said, diesel engines produce no vacuum, so to provide power braking, pressure from the power steering pump is used.

This is why I'm confused. The Ford garage is the one saying I need a new vacuum pump, not me. I think it's the power steering pump is going bad.

Howard

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Ok, I think I see what your talking about. Directly behind the right battery is a domed black plastic box, 9.5"X5.5"X6", rounded on the end closest to the engine and sitting directly atop the fender. There appears to be several hard black plastic lines coming out of it. Is this the pump your referring to?

Yes, the brakes are boosted by the power steering pump. Follow the lines coming from the booster (between the master cylinder and the firewall). They go to the power steering pump. As you said, diesel engines produce no vacuum, so to provide power braking, pressure from the power steering pump is used.

This is why I'm confused. The Ford garage is the one saying I need a new vacuum pump, not me. I think it's the power steering pump is going bad.

Howard

Tell your service guy you need a power steering pump.;tu

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I had my truck in to the local Ford garage the other day for brake work. The service manager called when it was done and told me I needed a new "vacuum pump". He explained to me that was the reason my steering wheel was so hard to turn when the engine was at low RPM's and/or I had my foot on the brake.

Now I know the brakes are boosted by the power steering pump and I figured I just needed a new one, but I'd never heard of a vacuum pump before. I looked it up on the Autozone and Rock Auto web sites and they both show a belt driven diaphragm type pump.

So I grabbed my trusty Haynes manual to look up the removal and re-installation procedure. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

This morning I decided to go look for myself. Popped the hood and I don't see any thing that even remotely resembles what I saw on those websites.:dunno

Anyone else know anything about these pumps of which they speak?

Thanks,
Howard
That's a new one,where does the brake system tie in with the electric vacuum pump on a 99-2003 SuperDuty? :rolleyes:

If your power steering pump is still working and depending on the miles so far you could do a flush on the power steering system which could possibly revive it.It'll only cost you 3 quarts of transmission fluid and a few feet of clear 1/2" hose.

atomicglock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a new one,where does the brake system tie in with the electric vacuum pump on a 99-2003 SuperDuty? :rolleyes:

If your power steering pump is still working and depending on the miles so far you could do a flush on the power steering system which could possibly revive it.It'll only cost you 3 quarts of transmission fluid and a few feet of clear 1/2" hose.

Thanks. I'll try your flushing idea first.

Howard

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14