Warranty issue

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
I very seriously doubt they can void your warranty for lack of a cat and make it stick. Unless they can show the removal caused the turbo to go bad, and they can't, they will not have a leg to stand on. This turns into a true mexican standoff - are you willing to call a lawyer and force the issue or will you roll over and take it in the behind?

They can do absolutely anything they want to if you won't take a stand.

That particular portion of the Magnuson Act will really not be relevant in this situation because they are not saying you are voided for using some other brand part but for removing something they put on. The off-road argument is along this same line - it wont fly to support their plan to void you. The off road modifications that relates to is putting ON off road parts that significantly change the configuration of the vehicle beyond what the manufacturer envisioned or designed. Simply removing a part that would make an otherwise truck "street-legal" isn't it.

Dont back down on this - if they argue all you need is a nice letter from a lawyer and they will more likely than not back down. The problem is like I said - if you dont fight them, they win even if they are wrong.

Your the Atty! But,(since I like to debate) couldn't it also fall under the "tie in" sales aspect? It would be like them saying they won't honor the warranty because you put a Midas replacement exhaust/muffler/cat on your rig even if it is the stock 3" size. The extra inch doesn't really make it a High performance mod, just a new and better exhaust. Oh, and FYI in the other post the guy said he DOES have the cat on the exhaust. That would make this a totally street legal truck/ w a non-Ford exhaust. Could it also be argued under that aspect. Either way, Ford is screwed. There is no way they can deny the warranty.

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I very seriously doubt they can void your warranty for lack of a cat and make it stick."

They might not but what would stop them (Dealer or Ford) from sending the EPA to your house to have your cat checked?

true91799

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Kind of went through the same thing with my truck. Long story short.......Dealership said they would only work on my truck if I put it back stock. BS. Too much work for too little reward. They had it in their shop and had one of the mechanics take me "out back" to explain this to me because they didn't want a scene in the shop. They sucked anyway so I took it to another dealer who was OK with the mods, but refused to work on it because it had been to the first dealer. It depends on the dealers and NO MATTER WHAT, Ford will tell you that each dealer is independently owned and operated and they WON'T get involved. It just wasn't worth the hassle for me and I took it to my local mechanic and paid for the repairs 85K miles.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I guess there is nothing to stop them from notifiying the EPA or TCEQ really. But for that matter any shop that sees it could do the same. Really the risk everyone takes if the cat gets removed.

It would be a hassle I would not want because even if you win, you lose. They have to prove who removed it - if you buy a used one that had been modified they cant nail you for it. They can make the accusation and make life hell however even if you were not the one that took it off.

As for the warranty act "tie in", I will admit it might be arguable that way. I only know some of this area but have not been involved in any depth so there could be lots of ways to twist it. I think you are right however, if you fight back, they really cant win. Warranties are potentially worth a lot of money - prevent out of pocket expense and affect resale. To me it would be worth paying a lawyer for a simple letter. Better yet, find a friend lawyer to write you one for free! (Im not volunteering, my job description prohibits it, sorry).

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 01 I waited until my Warranty had ran out. I will do the same with my 05 and 06 also. Then I will have only myself to blame!!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so youre not gonna mod your truck til the 100,001 mile mark ?

Mobeydick said:
On my 01 I waited until my Warranty had ran out. I will do the same with my 05 and 06 also. Then I will have only myself to blame!!

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled over on the side of the road at 100,000 miles to install my Hypertech Power Programmer III on my 01!! So yes!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14