What about 5" exhaust?

Ten_Bucks

Chainsaw Collector.
Reaction score
Whatever size exhaust you go with, I recommend putting on the 4" downpipe instead of the 3.5". It will fit once you bend the pinchweld on the firewall all the way back using a portapower and a short piece of 2x4.

crzycowboy

Suporting Vendor - www.grpipes.com
Reaction score
Ten_Bucks said:
Whatever size exhaust you go with, I recommend putting on the 4" downpipe instead of the 3.5". It will fit once you bend the pinchweld on the firewall all the way back using a portapower and a short piece of 2x4.

I agree with you there....4" down pipe is good! :thumbs

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
crzycowboy said:
These 5" questions are always touchy. I agree with most of what everyone has said. If you have not done any major changes to your truck (injectors, a sick sick tune, whatever...) 4" will be perfect. NOW.... I know people who have a put a 5" system on their trucks and love it. 5" wont hurt your truck, your turbo will spool quicker, and your temps will be a little lower. The guy I know straight piped his truck with 5" and this is where I get my info. Now the turbo will put out the same amount of air, but with less restrictions it can do that quicker. Look at your turbo like a pump.... if you had a pool of water you had to drain, and your pump could only move 10 gallons of water per minute, thats all you're gonna get, no matter how big the pipe. This is only my 2 cents, on what I have been told by a few reputable diesel guys. Like I said the 5" exhaust questions are very sensitive!!!

Sorry:sorry about reviving this so late in the game. I was at work for the last 48 hrs. Does anyone else see this as true about the turbo spooling quicker? I seem to remember my turbo spooling quicker in my old 6.5L with the 5" exhaust. I also remember my egt being lower and getting more horsepower. Plus the sound w/ the V8 diesel was awesome. Does this hold true with a 4"? Does anyone think I'll regret a getting a 5"? :dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I'm running a 5" straight pipe on my 95. I like it. Is it overkill? Yes, no doubt about it. I know of at least one guy running an old body style with the stock exhaust (the OBS trucks had 3.5") and he dyno'd out at 400 hp.

Where you at in Wyoming?

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I'm running a 5" straight pipe on my 95. I like it. Is it overkill? Yes, no doubt about it. I know of at least one guy running an old body style with the stock exhaust (the OBS trucks had 3.5") and he dyno'd out at 400 hp.

Where you at in Wyoming?

Right up the road in Gillette! :D Amazing who you meet on the web! :thumbs Do you like the 5"? Is it on a 6.0 or a 7.3? What did you pay and where did you get it (if you don't mind)? Do you tow? Have problems with EGT or turbo lag?:confused:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Well, I havent had the pleasure of saying welcome yet. So here is the official welcome to you from another Wyomingite.

My truck is a 95 with the 7.3L PSD. Now remember that the 95's were not intercooled and I have not yet experienced any EGT problems and I do tow a 26 foot travel trailer. I dont have turbo lag issues either, but I also have modified injectors so that would probably be the reason my turbo spools up just fine :D

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Well, I havent had the pleasure of saying welcome yet. So here is the official welcome to you from another Wyomingite.

Thanks! Love the site!! Souds like your truck rocks!! I think I'm going with the 4" into 5" exhaust. It worked good my non-intercooled 6.5L '99 Chevy so it should be GREAT on a '05 Ford with a cooler. No one seems to have a yes or no answer, so I'm guessing it's mainly opinion . I'm ordering tomorrow, I'll let everyone know how it works when I get it in!! What do you think of the Edge Juice Platinum w/ the Attittude?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
draftlover said:
Thanks! Love the site!! Souds like your truck rocks!! I think I'm going with the 4" into 5" exhaust. It worked good my non-intercooled 6.5L '99 Chevy so it should be GREAT on a '05 Ford with a cooler. No one seems to have a yes or no answer, so I'm guessing it's mainly opinion . I'm ordering tomorrow, I'll let everyone know how it works when I get it in!! What do you think of the Edge Juice Platinum w/ the Attittude?

Personally,,,,, its a personal choice. Just like wheels/tires etc etc...... bottom line, get what makes you happy and I think from the sounds of it, you'll be happy with the 5". This aint your first rodeo, youve already got experience with the 5" exhaust from your Chevy. The Juice with Attitude is a good choice also.

Oh, I built my own 5" exhaust, not a pre-fab kit.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
draftlover said:
The Edge is GREAT!!! you'll be flying by people you'd never expect, an aFe air intake would be a good idea down the road.

Oh and get the 5", you'll be our guinea pigs :D

Ten_Bucks

Chainsaw Collector.
Reaction score
Another word of advice: be sure to get a 5" exhaust that has a 1 piece tailpipe. The 2 piece tailpipes are known to cause drone. Or, if you buy an exhaust that has a 2 piece tailpipe, weld it together so it eliminates the possibility of drone coming from the tailpipe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14