What is this controller on the compressor manifold?

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
I hope you can see this picture. I am looking to buy this truck 2001 350 but it has this broken sensor, there are vacuum lines running to the turbo wastegate solinoid and to the air intake. My guess is this controls the wastegate position by mesuring boost. Can someone tell me what it is? And what the result would be if it is disconnected? No turbo boost?

THanks

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
That is indeed a portion of the wastegate system, though I don know EXACTLY what that little part does. If you unhook it, the PCM will not be able to limit or control boost. This could result in you exceeding the maximum recommended 25 psi of boost. If you watch yourself you can self-regulate with the throttle.

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
Thanks

My concern is because it has been disconnected for two years or more with the previous owner, that they may not have been that careful. How would I tell if it had been overboosted and damaged the turbo?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
That is the WG solenoid. It controls the boost that actually makes it to the actuator to control boost levels.

If it's been disconnected it would have to have a chip or programmer on it to make it over the 25psi recommended limit. Then it would have to have a MAP fooler so that the PCM doesn't defuel once it sees over 24lbs.

You can pull the intake tube off the inlet of the turbo and check for shaft play. If you spin it and came make it contact the housing by pushing or pulling while spinning then the cartridge is trashed. Also push in and pull out on the wheel to check the thrust.

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
Thanks for the help

Took it to the dyno today, turbo is working but truck has issues of neglect. Needs that sensor as well as a cam sensor. Died on me several times. Air filter was very dirty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14