What kind of diff oil

rondog

oil burner
Reaction score
I have a '97 F 250. It has the limited slip rear diff., 4:10s. The manual says 80/90wt (thermally stable) and 8oz. of "friction modifier", Part # C8AZ-19B546-A. Ford Spec. # M2C118-A

What is this? Is it really needed? Is it whats already in limited slip 80/90 that I can get at my parts store?

I'm not interested in the synthetics. I like the old stuff, I just want the right one. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Ford dealer only if you want to use the specified stuff. I think auto parts stores do sell some stuff but from what I understand it is not the right stuff. I have always purchased mine at the Ford dealer. Some guys will also tell you that it is not needed but others say it is. I have never changed mine without adding the Ford Friction Modifier so I don't know how it would work without it.

rondog

oil burner
Reaction score
Good enough for me. I just finally got to 100,000 miles, after 10 years. So it needs changing now. Thanks for the help.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess that settles that!:sly

maybe...but i dont get the opposition to synth. 'specially in
"locations" where the fluid is rarely changed...its not like ford
makes their own lubes or is KNOWN for formulating and making
their own.

so he can get under-performing products at a higher price... w/ a
ford label on the bottle....

yup...guess that does settle that ! :lmao

rondog

oil burner
Reaction score
Well, I thought I could drain the old oil out through a drain plug and refill through another. That is why I was going to use the dyno oil.
It looks like I have to remove the whole cover. So I'll be able to clean it all out and install synthetic oil.
Any recomendations?
I also need to change my pinion seal. It's leaking a bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14