What should I all check or replace ??

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
If you recall a week ago I found out I had a burndt pin on the drivers side valve cover gasket. I am planning on working on this soon beacuse the parts I ordered should be in soon. When I work on this I plan on putting in a new CPS, Valve cover gaskets and new glow plugs. Is there anything else I should check or replace since I am going this far with the repair??
Thanks

94redbeauty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES!!

I am guessing this is on your 97' so here goes. The plug going into the gaskett from the outside, check it, if burnt at all you should get the repair kit from IH (like $30 or somthing like that) to repair that plug. You will have the gaskett taken care of so thats good. BUT, the under valvue cover wire harnesses you will need to replace one of them most likely because I am sure it melted one of them, but check both of them out. YES, replace all 4 plugs with the motocraft plugs NOT the Autolites from shucks, etc, they will crap out on you. This just happened to me not to long ago, while your in there might as well be replacing things out, I am pretty sure you will need to replace at least one of the under valve cover harnesses, just look at the plugs, if burnt replace, no need to try and "push" them and let er' happen again. Here is a link of my problem, a little more drastic then yours im sure;)

http://community.webshots.com/album/493256996kMAIgr

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard about wellman plugs but I'd lean away from them as their failure results in head pulling at the best or engine failure.

Autozone sells motorcraft plugs for about 10 each. The plugs will actually say beru on them

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Stick with Motorcraft. Others can and will swell on you causing major headaches in getting them out. This is one of those "givens".

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14