White smoke when starting in cold.

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When I start my truck in 40 degree and below temps I get alot of white smoke out of the exhaust. Did a fuel filter change today and noticed a heating element in the bottom of the filter bowl. Just curious if this element was to go out if it would cause the smoke in the cold mornings?

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Changed them all last year with relay. Maybe glow plug modulator?$$$$

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
where the hell are you getting 40 deg temps in Michigan this time of year?

White smoke is moisture, so you have a glow plug that's not working. Either bad plug or two, UVCH, etc.

If it was a bad relay or controller, I doubt it would start at all. I've had mine fail in June and not start in 60* weather..

ProXJC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The 40 degrees temp ended 4 months ago, but anyway I guess I will try the glow plugs once again and see what happens in the fall. Your truck wouldn't start at all when the controller (modulator) went bad u say? I hope mine is not bad they ain't cheep!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
The 40 degrees temp ended 4 months ago, but anyway I guess I will try the glow plugs once again and see what happens in the fall. Your truck wouldn't start at all when the controller (modulator) went bad u say? I hope mine is not bad they ain't cheep!

mine has a relay, not a controller..
I can't remember what year they went to the controller.. I know in 99 & 00 the only ones with the controller were the California trucks..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58