Prep for X-country

rvassar

Refugee from California
Reaction score
Seeking Political Assylum in Central Texas!
jvencius said:
Jumper cables, tow strap, shackles (to hook up the tow strap), case of MRE's (emergency food), lots o' water, candles, matches, blankets (weather crossing the Rockies/Sierras will probably be a little unpredictable), 12v air compressor (I've got one and it's sloooooooooooooow, but it works well as long as you don't mind waiting), flares/warning triangles, spare CPS and the tools to change it, DUCT TAPE, hose clamps, and the rest of the list runneth over........ :eek:

MRE's? :roflmao

JV, I'm going to have a 9000lb. self contained house behind me! Complete with kitchen, queen bed, and satelight TV. Heck, with full propane tanks, if I got stranded, I'd have cold beer for a month. Hmmm... Getting stranded for a month kind of sounds relaxing.... -popcorn

The rockies kind of fail to impress down in New Mexico. Sure you top out above 7000' on I-40, and they get snow in early April. If the weather looks bad, we'll go I-10. We prefer I-40 because it's more scenic. Either route drops us into the "inland empire" section of Kali, which is desert. You then either drive thru LA, or past Edwards AFB & down the Tehachapi into Bakersfield. You don't really cross the Sierra's. A short run up the central valley, and a hop over the Altamont, and I'm back in the land of $350,000 fixer uppers and $250/night hotel rooms. :p

BTW - The SF Bay area is so expensive to visit, we'd be saving more than $1000 even if fuel was $3/gal the whole way. :dunno

A spare CPS is a good idea... I'll have to pick one up locally though. I procratinated on that, and now there's no time to mail order it. :dunno

rvassar

Refugee from California
Reaction score
sagebel said:
Do you have a list of members on your route?

Scott

Not quite the same, but... One of my ex-bosses retired to NM. We have friends & family here in Texas, friends in AZ, and all kinds of family in Kali. If I need help I can get it. I also have some mobile internet capability, so I could conceiveably even post questions here if I broke down. :thumbs

rvassar

Refugee from California
Reaction score
The rig is ready.

I've been sick as a dog since Sunday. I ended up taking it over to the local dealer. Had the tranny flushed, oil changed, radiator flushed, swapped oil in both diffs, and changed the fuel filter. More than $200 cheaper than the last time I had all this done, which was out in Kali. :thumbs

Now I just got to figure out what bits to put in the tool box. Lug nut sockets, breaker bar, various wrenches and sockets, DVOM, etc... 24pk beer... :D

CHPMustang

Reaction score
rvassar said:
The rig is ready.

I've been sick as a dog since Sunday. I ended up taking it over to the local dealer. Had the tranny flushed, oil changed, radiator flushed, swapped oil in both diffs, and changed the fuel filter. More than $200 cheaper than the last time I had all this done, which was out in Kali. :thumbs

Now I just got to figure out what bits to put in the tool box. Lug nut sockets, breaker bar, various wrenches and sockets, DVOM, etc... 24pk beer... :D
I can't recall if you changed your upper radiator hose to the dual alternator outside the belt type?

Definitely a 1/2" drive breaker bar for the belt tensioner in the event the serpentine belt decides to puke ;)

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rvassar said:

Don't worry--the tool you'll need when the rig breaks down in the middle of nowhere is guaranteed to be the one you left at home.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58