00 front clunking

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
There is a bar that runs parallel behind the front axle. It makes a 90 degree bend at the outer ends towards the rear of the truck. At each end of the sway bar is an end link that attaches the sway bar to the truck's frame.

Rear sway bar is mounted on the front of the rear axle.

The sway bar is also the bar that catches the motor oil when you remove the oil filter.:dunno

For the OP: If you cannot locate the noise I recommend finding a road/driveway that you consistantly hear the noise. Remove the end links and drive the same route. No noise= End link bushings.

Scott

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Might check the sway bar bushings also. Over last 2 days while doing my front brakes, I noticed mine are looking rather thin & worn.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
There is a bar that runs parallel behind the front axle. It makes a 90 degree bend at the outer ends towards the rear of the truck. At each end of the sway bar is an end link that attaches the sway bar to the truck's frame.

Rear sway bar is mounted on the front of the rear axle.

The sway bar is also the bar that catches the motor oil when you remove the oil filter.:dunno

For the OP: If you cannot locate the noise I recommend finding a road/driveway that you consistantly hear the noise. Remove the end links and drive the same route. No noise= End link bushings.

Scott

left pix is driver side - right pix is passenger

01SMOKINSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have had a similar clinking noise in the frontend as well. I have replaced everything and believe i have in narrowed down to the leaf spring bushings. While the dealer will tell you they are non replacable and must purchase a new spring, energy suspension does make replacement ones. Also if anyone has the ford part numbers for the F450 replacement springs im looking forsome to raise my ride height and help carry the weight of a plow. thanks!

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had an f250 superduty clunk under my feet. It started drivers side then passenger.
It was the body mounts. I used a piece of square stock at the frames bottom. i cut the rubber off the bottom female mount end. Threaded the bolt into it again. All noises gone.
basically i solid mounted both fronts. When you tighten these it only tightens rubber. Nothing really solid there. Espoecially if stuff is old. You can test try it. Get 1/2 inch threaded rod. Remove the factory bolt. Fab up something in place of bottom factory mount. I have some of the square tube steel that dits tight. i can cut and send some.
it will stop the noise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg