01 7.3 Trans issues?

ltparadise

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This AM on way to work experienced some new symptoms, was not sure at first but believe is my trans. After getting off of freeway and accelerating in town maybee 20-30mph felt like I was pushing on the brakes, the harder i pushed on the accelerator the more it held back. couple of times I would push hard on accelerator and after a couple of seconds somthing "popped" and everything freed up for a moment then it started again. Got back on freeway and drove ok for another 10 min. When I stopped I pulled the dipstick smells like crap, burnt smell.
Assuming trans any particular ideas on the cause is this rebuildable/repairable

Its 01 7.3 F-350 crew cab 4x4 with 155,000 miles all stock, original trans.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
If the trans fluid smells burnt then I'm going to bet on a toasted 4R100 trans especially with the noted high mileage in your sig.

Rebuild able? Absolutely! Brians Truck Shop

Everyday normal use would call for a fluid/filter change every 20k-25k miles.

ltparadise

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
NO mods havent been up on fluid change last time was around 65 or 70,000. Drove home frome work today about 60 miles with a couple of stops and no major trouble other than a couple of slightly funky shifts. The OD light does not flash at all either.

godofdew11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as much as i WOULD change your burnt smelling fluid, your symtoms sound EXACTLY like a EBPV sticking, it will get stuck open, then you can force it open with enough fuel, but feel like you are getting held back, had it happen on my 97 unplugged it and never worried about it again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14