01 Diesel Dies while driving..Total loss of power

POWERSTROKE N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

Hey guys whats up, here for the past few weeks, I'd be driving in my truck and all the sudden my truck completely shut down..the only thing I can compare it to..its like my truck was hit by an EMP " Electro Magnetic Pulse "..lol when it dies, I have %100 no power, all dash lights , headlights go completely out..and theres not even enough power to run my hazzard lights...but then Ill wait 10 to 15 min. then it will start after cranking it....help help help!!:dunno

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Have the alternator checked.

It's not the CPS. That will cause a no start, but the engine will still turn over, and everything else will work.

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
I'd second a cps or even another sensor like the ICP sensor, simply because it is intermittent. If it was the alternator, in my experience, once it dies from that you're not restarting it and going anywhere. It completely drains the batteries.

I could be wrong though.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Once again if the truck will not spin over, or have any gauge function ITS NOT THE CPS or the icp

ACERATI50

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hi there does it sound like it is going to start when you let the batteries charge?? does it crank and if you give it gas does it also throw a lot of smoke??

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old are your batteries........one of them might be intermittently shorting out.....

Alternator could also have an intermittent short.........

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Check your battery connections + and - as well as where the negative cables are attached to the engine/ frame.

Since you've stated that even the headlights go dead, it sounds like an intermittant ground to me.

A bad CPS will not cause the headlights to go out.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Tail_Gunner said:
Check your battery connections + and - as well as where the negative cables are attached to the engine/ frame.

Since you've stated that even the headlights go dead, it sounds like an intermittant ground to me.

A bad CPS will not cause the headlights to go out.
For what it is worth, I agree 100% with everything stated here. Me thinks it is a ground problem.

Or, as the politicians say "I approve of this message!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14