01 F350 wheel spacers...where are they??

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bad Niight, I may buy these later. I'm still curious as how the will affect the wear and tear on the frame suspension. I guess If I do decide to do spacer I need to do the warn hubs first. My passenger hub is really hard to lock in. That brings me to another question, can I leave my hubs turned to the lock position and leave them there all the time and just use the switch. I've heard you can and can't. My hubs dont say "Auto" or anything else like some do.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You don't want to run with the hubs locked in all of the time. It i s hard on the differential in turns and wears out the tires and all of the axle parts. DO NOT DO IT!

Dave

TurboDsl8

SDD Member
Reaction score
X2 what Dave said. There are different styles depending on the setup your truck has for transfer case...Auto, Manual, electric engage or shifter on the floor etc. The electric switch style will have auto hubs which will be marked Auto and Lock. Manual floor shift style will be marked on the hub as Lock and Free.You can run it in lock for short distance in case you think you "Might "need 4x4 on your way to the store cuz there is 5" of snow but don't want to put it in 4x4 in case your truck gets thru it ok in 4x2 and you want to try and save some diesel in your tank.But don't run around with it that way all day or you will cause early wear on your hubs and other front bearings etc. plus it is turning more parts than needed which causes drag and thus worse fuel mileage.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I haven't been runnning them in the locked position just in case. It's just hasn't been clear to me if you could or not because the way some ppl has described its operation...like in my owners manual it makes it sound like you can leave your hubs in the locked position but they wont engage untill you flip the switch to 4x4high or low. So many if's... Thanks again

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think you are getting the operation of LOCKING the front end and LOCKING the transfer case confused. They are two separate things, that are related. When you lock your HUBS in, you are causing the rotating parts in the front end to become locked to the front wheels. Nothing else is happening, no power is directed to the front wheels.

When you ENGAGE/LOCK the transfer case in Four High or Four Low, you are sending power to the front wheels through the front axles and hubs. This will cause everything to have power applied. All of this assumes that the front end is LOCKED.

Dave :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14