New Member 02 F-350 fuel mileage woes

Joseph350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time ford owner new diesel owner, I'm averaging 12.5 with a 7.3L please help. There no trick parts as far as i know. Stock height with 35 inch BFG's speedo is calibrated so maybe a chip or flashpack(no clue.) I have changed the air filter,emptied water seperator,and added Stanadyne fuel additive that got me 12.5-13.0 mpg. I tow alot I almost always have a 5,000-6,000 lb enclosed trailer for work and an 11,000 lb 5th wheel toy hauler for play.

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gears do you have in that thing? Weight + low gears may be the reason for you'r milage woes. Welcome to SDD.

dpantazis

Reaction score
check you boots on the turbo and the intercooler pipes. if you are seeping oil and loosing boost, that will knock off a chunk.

you may want to change the MAF sensor too. they slowly flake out and won;t throw a code. its a $50-75 part.

black super 350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
mileage

hi joseph,
are you calculating mileage or going by message center average?
is it figured towing or empty? probably not that bad if this mostly towing.

i just traded a 01 7.3 that got 9-11 towing 34' 5th wheel. (#14000) and about 17 empty on mixed local and hyway miles at stock.
after install of hypertech programmer it went to 12-14 towing and 20s empty. these averages are on longer hauls after i got some flat land running, and got away from these Pa. mountains.
if your new to a diesel, don't try to get a hole shot like gas. they're slower from a stop. it takes a little getting used to.
just something to think about.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I'd say a combination of the tires and almost always towing between 6 and 11K are where your mileage concerns lie. Try that in a big block gasser.

Welcome to the site.

Joseph350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks from Joseph350

Thanks to all. I don't know what gears,and I am holeshoting like my last truck(99 F-250 V-10 also with 35" B.F.G's ) Thanks again for all of the advice I'll let you know as we go. P.S. I definitely want to lift it 4" probably, 4" cat back, and open the intake (thinking Donaldson Performance), and maybe an efficiency tune or chip.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14