02 X 7.3--tranny out, need recommendation!

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
My buddy has a 02 X with the 7.3 and auto tranny with 102K miles. It quit "going" the other day. Had it towed to the dealership and they told him today it was the transmission and would cost $3200 to replace. The dealership he had it towed to (due to location) is the dealership that I had boatloads of trouble with--they'd rather sell you services 50K miles before they're due than fix the problem.

Anyhow, what are his options for aftermarket transmissions? Is he better off with a stock replacement? What are aftermarket transmissions going for? Installation?

Here's what happened when it failed: the truck quit responding to the go pedal....no clunks, loud noises, no noises of any kind, just quit working. He was able to restart the truck and it'd go real slow, then quit working a few hundred feet later. If he'd let it sit for 10 minutes, he could get the truck to drive for about 10-15 feet, then it'd die again. Fluid was fine. Does this sound like a transmission?

Thanks,
Bruce

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyhow, what are his options for aftermarket transmissions? Is he better off with a stock replacement? What are aftermarket transmissions going for? Installation?

Here's what happened when it failed: the truck quit responding to the go pedal....no clunks, loud noises, no noises of any kind, just quit working. He was able to restart the truck and it'd go real slow, then quit working a few hundred feet later. If he'd let it sit for 10 minutes, he could get the truck to drive for about 10-15 feet, then it'd die again. Fluid was fine. Does this sound like a transmission?

Thanks,
Bruce

That sounds like what happened when my CPS quit--I cought it before it died completely, but I had pretty much the same symptoms.

If the CPS checks out OK, [http://www.brianstruckshop.com] BTS [/url] is pretty much the cat's azz for aftermarket 4R100's. There are a few other quality tranny builders out there (John Wood, Suncoast, et al) but I've heard almost nothing bad about Brian's products or the service he provides (yes, he will ship trannys).

P.S. I just noticed how the auto-censor cut out the part of your username that spells "s E x" and that's pretty darn funny (in a "are you kidding me" kind of way).

redpsd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree. that doesn't sound like a tranny. I would check the cps and/or the tps. As a last resort...the computer might be going south as well. Mine would exhibit the same general problems. Threw a couple of new CPS's at it before I figured out it was the pcm.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
He already had the tranny replaced. Not sure if that was the problem or not, but what's done is done. He was in a bind for time and the stealership was convinced it was the tranny.

Thanks for all the input!

Bruce

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58