03 6.0 wont move at all??!! HELP!

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
My fathers 2003 6.0 has never had a significant problem even...knock on wood!!!, all of a sudden this morning the truck wont move an inch, it starts and runs fine. put it in any gear and it acts like neutral. When the gear shift is put back into park it grinds a little bit. i looked underneath and the cable going into the tranny is ok, it moved perfectly.. i searched for DTC's and didnt come up with anything.. any ideas?!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The grinding sound when it is put into Park tells me that he has 4 wheel drive, and the transfer case is in neutral. Check for this. Hope this helps.

Dave

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
thats exactly what i thought, but it has the electronic 4wheel switch. it only has 2wheel. 4hi and 4lo. how can it go into neutral?

atk

Reaction score
try cycling the 4 wd switch a couple of times. i am not 100% sure, but if you remove electric motor from transfer case, there is a neutral setting, it may be stuck there. you should beable to turn it manually, but make sure you have the park brake on, or wheels blocked, just in case....i know some of other Ford transfer cases that have an electric motor do have a neutral setting....hope this helps

motor may be getting weak?

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
i was just lookin under it and saw that motor, im thinking its stuck or somthing too, ill go take a look at it!

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
well, i took the black over off that elec motor and couldnt figure out how the motor comes off, i wiggled it around and tried having my dad mess with the switch and it still does nothing, checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine. anyone know whats behind that big cover on the other side or the electric motor with the big plug going to it?

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
just to keep ya updated i removed the whole elec motor assy and put the tcase into gear with a adjustable wrench, any way to check if that motor is getting power?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58