03 7.3 Auto Shifting and Od light.

angus

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Not sure this even needs to be in this forum, but Ive got an 03 F250 4x4 with a 7.3 Auto. Its sitting at the 150k mile mark, and Ive had it for about 2 months now.. This is my first 7.3 but not first powerstroke or Superduty.

On a couple occasions, the trans has shifted really hard, and the overdrive light would start flashing, it still shifted fine, and went into overdrive when it did this a few times, but it did seem to shift a bit harder while it was flashing. I could stop, shut it off for a little bit and start back up and it would be fine.. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Also, Ive noticed on a few seperate occasions, that once the engine and trans are warmed up, and I come to a stop and take off again, it sometimes acts like it dont want to shift, I can really bring the rpms up high and it just wont shift sometimes, but usually if I bring it up to near the 3000 mark and let off, it will shift on out and be fine... Any ideas on this? Are these two items related? It shows pretty full on fluid(hard to tell though, kinda hard to read the stick) and it dont feel like its slipping at all.. I dont know if I should change the fluid or if its going out, or is there a sensor out?? Help me out here, Im getting nervous about it, and afraid somethings going to fail.. Thanks

twt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the OD light blinking is the sensor in the rear end. The sensor is located on top of the rear end housing. You might try cleaning the shavings off , but it is usually bad. Dose the cruise work?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
OD light flashing is transmission fault codes..
of which the output speed sensor is one of them..

Either way, get it checked, the factory tranny is usually only good for about a buck-fifty anyway, and your's is right there..

angus

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Ill get it checked out.. The truck doesnt have cruise, its an xl work truck. I was afraid of that,, just my luck, get the truck, and have to put a tranny in it. Im guessing Im gonna be looking at a pretty good chunk of cash there?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the OD light blinking is the sensor in the rear end. The sensor is located on top of the rear end housing. You might try cleaning the shavings off , but it is usually bad. Dose the cruise work?

OD light flashing is transmission fault codes..
of which the output speed sensor is one of them..

Either way, get it checked, the factory tranny is usually only good for about a buck-fifty anyway, and your's is right there..

X3.

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) on the rear dif.

A DIY, 20 minute fix, for under $100 bucks.

Joe

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the way my transmission acted before it went out:dunno Do you hear a "humming" under a light acceleration or pulling a hill? Hopefully the sensor thing will work for ya, but if not....I spent about $2100 for my rebuild which included a BD torque converter, shift kit, and new/older style drum (what they said:dunno).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14