03 7.3L 4R100 Trans gets hot

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before I go that far, first thing to do is to check the gauge. Take an infrared thermometer to scan the pan. If they jive, we go from there. Maybe a 6.0 cooler or check debris between the grille and the radiator fan.

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea of what type of torque converter would work the best? Is it easy to put in yourself or do I need to go to a shop to have that done?

I generally don't like to have an expensive TC in a used trans. If it breaks, the only way to fix the TC is to have it cut apart, cleaned, rewelded back and balanced. Cost me close to $400 for that service, IIRC.

krazyburro

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Checked the diff between the pan and the gauge and got about a 30 degree difference. this difference may be caused due to the location the gauge is reading from since it is an after market pan carrying a lot more fluid then stock (This seems a little big though). will check for bebri between the radiator fan and grille.

treyloco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check and make sure everything is tight on the back side of the gauge. My ground came loose and after 10 min. of driving the gauge would read 200*

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ck the bypass line

I had flushed the trans on my 03 7.3 per this sites instructions. But I had fluid all over the floor. (OK, thats not that unusual for me but shouldnt happen with this procedure....)

Did a little reading here and vendors sites; DieselSite says if this happens the cooler bypass line is plugged which reduces fluid flow from the cooler. Ordered a new one from them, put it on and trans temps have dropped 15-30 degrees per the ScanGauge......

Good Luck
Mike

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I believe that it does, slight modification may be needed, but not much. Check out ATS, BD, or NADP for a TC. Also, check out Brians Truck Shop.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed the 6.0L cooler in my early 99 last week. Bolted right in with just some minor plumbing work to adapt from the larger inlet/outlet ports to the 3/8" stock hose. I'll be putting a load on it next week and see what the temps look like. ;tu

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed the 6.0L cooler in my early 99 last week. Bolted right in with just some minor plumbing work to adapt from the larger inlet/outlet ports to the 3/8" stock hose. I'll be putting a load on it next week and see what the temps look like. ;tu

In the stock tune and with that and the BTS trans, I can barely break 55 over ambient in the summer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58