03 to 04 6.0 swap

a911medic

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I bought an 04 6.0 to replace my wel worn 03. The swap was going great until I got to the ICP sensor.
I don't care that it's in a different place, but the million dollar question is, IF i splice in the proper plug for the 04 into my 03 harness will this engine run??

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Early 04 they changed the ICP to the front. To get it away from the turbo heat. Is that the only connector that won't fit ? everything else is plugged in ? nothing missing ?

a911medic

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had to swap a few things over because the 04 came out of an E series. I swapped the fuel lines, fuel filter housing, my AC, etc.
Yes, I know they moved the ICP, but the entire fuel rails inside the valve covers are different as well. The 04 runs at a different pressure than the 03 due to this change.
OTHERWISE, yes, my 03 harness plugged in to everything on the 04. I was ready to install the engine, but the ICP tripped me up, and I've been asking around. A local shop here tells me I have to change the high volume pump, the fuel rails and the injectors for this to work. An enthusiast on another page tells me to plug it in to the 03 harness after rerouting the plug for the ICP and it will work fine. Another site with a Ford ASE certified senior tech, tells me I have to get the 04 PCM. No one really agrees on this issue and I'm looking for the "for sure" answer.

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to swap a few things over because the 04 came out of an E series. I swapped the fuel lines, fuel filter housing, my AC, etc.
Yes, I know they moved the ICP, but the entire fuel rails inside the valve covers are different as well. The 04 runs at a different pressure than the 03 due to this change.
OTHERWISE, yes, my 03 harness plugged in to everything on the 04. I was ready to install the engine, but the ICP tripped me up, and I've been asking around. A local shop here tells me I have to change the high volume pump, the fuel rails and the injectors for this to work. An enthusiast on another page tells me to plug it in to the 03 harness after rerouting the plug for the ICP and it will work fine. Another site with a Ford ASE certified senior tech, tells me I have to get the 04 PCM. No one really agrees on this issue and I'm looking for the "for sure" answer.

Can the engine be returned and get your money back ? or is it already yours. Let us know

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14