03 turbo silencer ring removed

Reaction score
Got some pictures of my turbo minus the silencer ring when i did my ccv mod the other day. Didn't run my ccv mod to a filter just dumped it straight down.

HPIM0150.jpg

HPIM0149.jpg

3/4 inch brass plug screwed into the intake
HPIM0152.jpg

HPIM0153.jpg

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
would you be interested in an upgraded turbo for your truck ?

it's an 03 style turbo so it has the larger turbine housing, and also the larger turbine with only 10blades. the turbine (exhaust) side is machined inside and ceramic coated all around. the VGT vanes are dry film lubricant coated to prevent 'sticking'. the compressor housing is also fully ceramic coated and has a larger compressor wheel. it's a 65mm compressor wheel vs. the 55mm factory wheel.
i also have a new 03 pedestal if someone with an 04+ truck wants to use it. the turbo was only on my truck for about 3 days, and everything is brand new. (seals, bearings, vgt solenoid etc) the only reason i took it off because i got a great deal on a nonvgt turbo and went bigger.
if you have SCT programming you can achieve even more out of this turbo than you would by simply swapping it out w/stock programming, but it will still make a difference. sorry for the hijack, i will make a new post for everyone else, if you're not interested in it.. but congrats on the ccv mod, i just routed mine down w/some 1" heater hose and it terminates by the front leaf spring. you can really smell how horrible the vapors coming out of there are, so i am going to extend it to the rear whenever i get the time.

here's a few pics of it...
ceramic coated machined compressor housing:
CIMG0127-1.jpg

complete unit:
CIMG0135.jpg

here's the difference between the stock 55mm wheel (left) and the 65mm wheel (right)
rebuild027.jpg

Last edited:

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
How do you remove the ring? what is the benefit of removing the ring?

I've heard that on the early trucks it is easily removed, but the newer ones must be machined off. If I'm correct. It basically makes the turbo whistle louder...I think. That's what I've heard. I don't have a 6.0 so I'm goin off of here-say.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard the same, what is considered an early truck though. I am mostly just curious, I don't think I want to risk damage to my turbo just for more sound.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I think early is 03-04. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. If your truck has one of the easily removed rings, then it wouldn't be to risky.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58