04 6 leaker leaking

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ok i got a o4 6.0 here that is burning coolant and it shouldnt be.the motor was replaced with one that had 20,000 miles on it.while the motor was out the owner had the arp head studs and gaskets done.cant be a head gasket problem,can it?im thinking egr cooler but i looked at that in the "6.0 bible"im all set with messing with that.will a block sealer or something work just so its not smoking?the truck is being sold to a car dealer so we dont care if it atleast holds long enough to get it there

Last edited:

DR.Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you sell the truck then you might get away with a sealer.the people that come into my shop with coolant leaks dont like the quote i give them when it comes time to fix ,wqhen they have been loading the system up with stop leak.

F250 FTW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 06, its losing coolant but no did a pressure test and no leaks found. This is a head gasket issue? or is there another possibility?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Exhaust Gas Recirculator. This is the device that feeds exhaust gases back into the engine for smog purposes. It is cooled by the EGR Cooler. The cooler uses engine coolant to keep the exhaust gases cool. This is a relative cool, the exhaust gases can run into the 1000 degree range so the cooler is needed to keep things under control. If this leaks, it will feed coolant into the combustion chambers and burn (or try to burn) the coolant. This is in the intake tract, so it is possible...

Dave

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not wise to drive much w/ a leaking EGR cooler. It could hydrolock the engine. The EGR cooler failure probably comes from a plugged oil cooler (coolant side). They both need replacing. Also - do not use a block sealer - won't help, could cause other problems.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive the truck and get it warm.
Park on a downslope (front end lower than the back end).
pull the EGR valve and see if there is coolant in the intake.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58