04 6L clunk under drv sd feet

h_bomb41

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Newbie here. My wife, yes I said my wife, has a 04 F350 6.0L diesel 4x4 crewcab that she calls her 1 ton grocery getter. Anyway, she tell me she feels something "clunking" under her feet when driving over choppy bumps at about 20 mph to when coming to a complete stop. The truck has 28,000 on it. Any ideas on what this "clunk" might be? Thanks for your help.:confused:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
loose track bar or sway bar.
or bump stops loose. I read somewhere about the retainer cap coming loose and making odd noises, but i cant find the TSB.
the one below is not for your truck, but it might help as a guide

05 F450/550 Coil Spring Recall 04B25:
Some trucks built from 7-27-04 through 11-11-04 with snop plow package may have been built with lighter than specified front coil springs, which could sag over time. Identified vehicles also have an incorrect vehicle certification lable. Ford will replace the affected springs and install a supplimental weight rating lable. This recall is in effect until 3-31-06.

maybe :dunno

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
"See my first post line #4",

uhmmmm read:confused: :D
merely as a guide my good man.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Lifted?

When I lifted mine, I put the bolts in backwards on the front sway bar. It clunked every now and then against the springs until I noticed what I did.

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
"See my first post line #4",

uhmmmm read:confused: :D
merely as a guide my good man.

I did read and I realize thats what you said, but the correction does in no way relate to the 04. They are not the same that's all I am trying to say. Most of the issues with the 04 and that is the drive axle and 4x4, but she's having this issue in 2 wheel, so .................

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Welcome to SDD there h_bomb41:thumbs

There's one body mount bolt under the drivers feet that is a common problem on many Excursions that have also been exhibited on some SuperDuties as well,the fix is alongating the holes open about 1/8" to prevent the bolt from tapping the body to frame seat when going over bumps and body flex.

h_bomb41

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
:hail CHPMustang!
I'm going to look into all suggestions this weekend and I will let all know if and what the problem was.:thanks

Strokin_it7.3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
if it is a "clunking" noise when going around turns, or hitting a pothole in the road, or even clunking when pulling into an uneven driveway, it may well be the swaybar bushings at the axle to sway bar connection. we have two trucks that exhibit this that need to be fixed. you could get stock replacements, or go for the gold with Energy Suspension's poly units. they are virtually wear-free, and should last the life of the truck. part number 4-5186 for red, if memory serves me correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14