04 "bucking" on hills with load

nogo90gp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 F 350 that started "bucking" on hills at around 2000rpm in 5th gear. It wont do it at any other time, kind of weird? And only with a load (not much of one either 3500lbs) Any Ideas?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wanna bet you got some EGR codes ???
man i should make this part of my signature... :D

got any gauges....is your egt higher ? is your boost
erratic ? puffing black smoke when the truck bucks <hey that rhymes> ?
ever pull / clean the egr valve ?

if you dont have a code reader you CAN disconnect the egr <with the truck
OFF...aka not running, key OFF> and see if the symptoms continue.

read and review ALL the egr related articles and photos HERE

nogo90gp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
no guages, sorry. Is it common for people to just leave the egr disconnected? I had alot of problems with the egr in my tdi jetta and eventualy just disconnected it and it didn't even throw a CEL.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
no guages, sorry. Is it common for people to just leave the egr disconnected? I had alot of problems with the egr in my tdi jetta and eventualy just disconnected it and it didn't even throw a CEL.

Yes, many do disconnect it and have no problems. I have found that it may or may not fix your problem, as the valve may still pop open under load if it is not plugged in or not. It's worth a try at least. I prefer to use a tuner (SCT xcal2) custom programmed to eliminate the EGR operation altogether.

Nightfalls2

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Do you have the new Toqueshift (sp) trans? If so I would check the pan for metal. Ford had a service bullentin out about it and a pin walking out. Mine started off with a little bucking while I was out of town with no load then two weeks later the tranny was shot.

nogo90gp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So, I cleaned the EGR valve and it still "bucks" at around 2000rpm up hills, but the weird thing is that when i just unplug it, it seems fine. Does the EGR valve go bad, I always thought that if you just cleaned them all should be well. A

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14