04 Excursion

Taylor_Mish

Taylor_Mish
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the powerstroke forums, I have been a part of the Cummins forums for awhile now. I will probably be hated for having a Cummins, as well as a Powerstroke EXCURSION of all things. I hope I am worthy haha.

Any way, I like to think I am fairly familiar with the Cummins (there is always more to learn), but I am new to powerstroke tuning. I am ready to do intake, exhaust and probably a chip or tuner of some type.

Can anybody give me the ins and outs of the powerstroke in a nutshell... Basically which products to stay away from, trans issues, whatever will keep this from being enjoyable. Like In my sig u can see whats already done to my dodge so yeah.

Thanks in advance,
Taylor Mishalanie:open

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't have any serious problems with my truck until I started stacking chips. The problem was due to the extra power the stock 4R100 transmission couldnot stand up to it. After some serious valve body work (to bump up pressures), and a triple disc converter it is fine. Other than that the motor has been bulletbroof, still running strong with over 200,000 miles.

Taylor_Mish

Taylor_Mish
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Are there any chips in particular that work well with the ford, ie. EGT safety, tranny slip? Everyone seems to be raving about the SCTR tuner. Is that an adjust on the fly?

Thanks
T

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a bully dog module that is adjustable on the fly, it has a switch with 3 settings. Even stacking chips I have never had any problems with EGT temps the highest I have ever seen them is around 950 degrees (hauling a trailer uphill) which I am told safe is around 1100 degrees. My bully dog chip makes more power than my superchips downloader. Alot of the chips on the market do detect transmission slippage and defeul the engine. If I did it over I would install a trans command unit prior to installing a chip to safe gaurd the transmission. $300 is better than $3000!

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I presume you have the 6-oh...

everybody has their best way of doing things and you will too...
4 me ?
first thing to do is get rid of the boat anchor muffler to allow some exhaust flow, either a better flow thru muffler like the walker BTM, a cat back or turbo back exhaust...

Next thing I did was an SCT tuner... and more importantly than the tuner is the Tuner - the person programming for YOUR driving conditions etc...

Having a VERY nice tuner and having a bad tune is not what you want:)

Now which one has done the best job of tuning an 04 6-OH Ex ??? Dunno, maybe some will volunteer who did their's...

Still working on mine....

CBSuperDuty

Got Looney???
Reaction score
IMHO a custom tuned SCT is the best thing for the 6.0. No it isn't on the fly but well worth every penny.

Chris

Taylor_Mish

Taylor_Mish
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. sorry bout the late reply. We're going on 6 days without power in good ol WA state.

I do have another input, but I'll start a thread.
Thanks again,
Taylor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg