05 6.0 Exhaust Odor

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 6.0 with 60,000 miles. The exhaust has always had a smell to it. It seems to be most noticeable right after start up and initial warm up, but it's there all the time. It's been this way before and after any dealer re-flashes I've gotten, but I bought it used, so not sure what it was before. I had the truck on the lift last week and pulled the cat and started it, and it was still smelly.

Anybody else have this? The smell is hard to describe, but it's unlike any other diesel I've been around. I haven't really noticed it on other people's 6.0's either.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would take it back to where you bought it. This is a SAFETY hazard to the people in the truck.

Dave

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't smell it in the cab, unless the passenger door stays open for a while. It's done it on LSD, and ULSD. I can take it the dealer next time I'm in town.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
have you owned a PSD before? i work on all types of diesels, and without looking i could tell when someone is running a mitsubishi even if its across the shop....they have a very strong and identifiable stench. i always thought the powerstrokes smelled like a mitsu, but with much less intensity. diesels exhaust fumes change drastically from engine to engine based on compression, timing, spray pattern and atomization.......much like a gas engine smells different when its rich, lean, high or low compression....RACE FUEL (YUMMY!)

if you dont smell it in the cab, i dont think you have a problem. have you parked next to another 6.0 and sniffed on both tailpipes?

JRJ04

Reaction score
i know that the cat produces a different smell. its like diesel, but almost has some other scent mixed in with it. very unique indeed.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be the cat, and when I had it off I could still smell it from the cat being in the area. I just unbolted it and some hangers and dropped it down. This is my first PSD. I have smelled some others, but not when side by side. I will check on an 07 this week.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
cats make the funny smell, and also EGR engines have a very strong odor when the egr is actively recirculating. basically it is pushing concentrated exhaust out of the tailpipe that almost burns your nose. i noticed this the first time i ran an egr engine in the shop.....stinky!

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you're smelling is NO2... Some engines make more of it, and depending of the catalyst, and EGR (like mentioned above) will change how it smells. It's not going to smell like an older diesel with that tangy kinda smell to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14