Help Needed '05 6.0 van "sluggish"

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I admit it; I'm a 7.3 guy, and not real knowledgeable on the 6.0's..
friends of mine tour Backyard Tire Fire | Backyard Tire Fire's Official Website in the above-mentioned van, and owner/driver is reporting since major surgery (head gaskets & cracked head) the van runs OK, but seems very sluggish...

aside from the stupid stuff like filters & pump, where's a good spot to start?
no CEL
bone stock
200,000 miles (which might in itself be the problem?)

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get an induction cleaning service through ford in which they push a solent cleaner through the intake turbo and egr system and it cleans the soot out of them - Had it done to my truck and makes a big difference. was kinda pricey though (about 600) but in my opinion worth it.

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
there still might be codes, even if there is no CEL. remove the cat and see how it responds, may be plugged????did they reflash it when it was in getting the work done?

check it over, that everything was hooked up and tight....

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
*bump*
anyone else?
I saw another thread about a cracked intercooler..
I don't spend a lot of time reading threads if there is a bunch of answers (speaks to the volume of experience here) because chances are, I'm not going to add much to it.

does the 6.0 have intercooler issues?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking a loose or split I/C boot too.. as a place to start looking at stuff.

atk

Reaction score
depending on how long the van has been driven since work has been done, there still could be air trapped in the high pressure oil system, which may result in lack of power. also came across a tsb where wire chaffing in certain areas will cause same issue. go to 6.0l bible, go to tsb on dieselmans page, for this info on the location of wire chaffing....

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
not a common issue, but has happened....

you thinking it`s loosing boost pressure?

I had a chance to run it for a little bit myself last weekend, and it ain't no 7.3 power wise... but even so, it did seem a tad gutless. So seeing as how the engine was scattered all over Diesel Dick's in Bloomington, Il., I'd have to say we'd need to start by thinking about that.. IC boots make sense, is simple to diagnose and repair.. I saw another thread here about a guy that had a cracked intercooler, that's why I asked about that.

Ed's kinda paranoid because they kicked off a tour on Saturday, and doesn't want to be stranded somewhere for a week (again).

So I'm trying to get him hooked up on the cheap..

Maybe I'll whip up a username and password for him so he can get into the 911 forum if he needs to...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58